Student-to-Student Message Board

This is a message board for the sole use of registered students of the Midwest School of Herbal Studies. As an MWSHS student, do you: Want to find a "study buddy"? Share an herbal healing experience? Ask other students how to make a certain herbal preparation or for their insight on the particulars of a difficult herbal-healing case that you are handling? Then, feel free to submit a post!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Comfrey Cream to Heal Proud Flesh on a Horse with Strangles

I wanted to share my experience using comfrey cream to heal the proud flesh on my rescued mare with Strangles. She is eleven years old and arrived thin with terrible hooves. And several days later she developed Strangles.

Strangles is a highly contagious and serious infection of horses by the bacterium, Streptococcus equi. The disease is characterized by severe inflammation of the mucosa of the head and throat with extensive swelling with the lymph nodes often rupturing. This rupturing produces large open wounds of the flesh and large amounts of thick, creamy, draining pus.

When the inflammation in her neck/throat ruptured, it opened up her throat between her jaw bones completely. There was actually a large hole where you could see her muscles, tendons and bone ~ everything was open and exposed. And for approximately two weeks, I applied comfrey cream twice a day to heal the proud flesh and to keep the flies out of her opened wound ~ maggots in the wound would have created even more problems. The comfrey optimized her healing and reduced skin scarring. She has now healed, back with the herd and you can’t even tell she ever had a wound ~ it healed completely!