Student-to-Student Message Board

This is a message board for the sole use of registered students of the Midwest School of Herbal Studies. As an MWSHS student, do you: Want to find a "study buddy"? Share an herbal healing experience? Ask other students how to make a certain herbal preparation or for their insight on the particulars of a difficult herbal-healing case that you are handling? Then, feel free to submit a post!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tincture as a mouth-wash

Hi! All,

I wonder if this is overkill - but I had an idea to make a tincture - to use as a mouth-wash - using some leftover Sage, Lavender and Lemon peel.

I made the tincture, and started using it. It seems to have an effect of whitening my teeth.

My questions for the group are
1) Would there be any issues with using lemon peel or alcohol - in ruining / affecting the teeth enamel?
2) Is it an overkill to use a tincture as a mouth-wash versus making an herbal tea with the same herbs?

Thanks,
Neelam

Re: Tincture as a mouth-wash

the alcohol irritates all the soft tissue in the mouth and it decreases the amount of natural saliva. In terms of the tissue, the skin of the mouth is very delicate and the alcohol is corrosive to the gums, cheeks and skin. It can affect the way the tissue cells divide. alcohol is a sugar. Over time, booze tends to wreak havoc on our teeth and gums. What about turning it in to a paste or dry powder for tooth brush? OR
I am thinking frozen infusion?

Re: Tincture as a mouth-wash

or how about Mentha Piperita, Melissa Officinalis, Colloidal Silver, Lecithin, Mentha Spicata, Citrus Limon Peel, Vetiveria Zizanoides Root Oil, Eucalyptus Radiata Leaf , Rosmarinus Officinalis, Leaf Oil, and Tocopherol.

This is the best recipe that I found that works well. I don't bother making it there is no way of making a "recipe" Just have to make it the way you want to depending on your tastes.