Return to Website

AMBROSE BIERCE SITE COMMUNICATION BOARD

go to: THE AMBROSE BIERCE SITE MAIN PAGE

AMBROSE BIERCE SITE COMMUNICATION BOARD
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Clarification of Bierce quote - impiety n - Your irreverence toward my deity

Hi i'm looking for some information on a particular quote of Ambrose Bierce and I am wondering if you can help?

Ambrose Bierce's quote:

"Impiety, n. Your irreverence toward my deity" –

I like this quote because it sums up his beautiful cynicism as per his book the devils dictionary.

I am looking to put it as a tattoo on my body as i believed it is an atheistic quote. But, the problem is every time I break this quote down into its individual parts its saying something different to what i thought it should be.

I kind of need a synopsis of this quote to understand it properly but I can't find a good synopsis of the quote

Can you help?

i have broken it down and what it is saying is:

"Impiety, n. Your irreverence toward my deity" –

impiety – lack of reverence for god or sacred things.

Irreverence - the quality of being irreverent; lack of reverence or respect

the Deity, God; Supreme Being. divine character or nature, esp. that of the Supreme Being; divinity

In other words: Impiety = your lack of respect towards my god.

When i break it down it is saying one is disrespecting my belief in god but I am sure Ambrose is not meaning this???

What do you think?

Thanks
Brett

Re: Clarification of Bierce quote - impiety n - Your irreverence toward my deity

Brett, Don can help out here- I'm not the expert, but I think Bierce's atheism is fairly established. Here, and usually, Bierce is talking less about the existence of the almighty as he is about the way people interact over the topic. His purpose in life seems to have been to puncture other people's sanctimony so, in that sense, it would be a pretty good atheist's tat.