Return to Website

Orcs Nest On-Lion Message board

Discussion for RPG players gamers and other Social Misfits and Deviants.

We were reaching the limit of the number of posts allowed here, so I have had to delete some of the older messages.

If your message has gone please post again.

Please note that this is intended as a contact board between gamers. We don't always read all the posts ourselves, so it is not a good way to contact Orcs Nest staff.

Any posts that appear to be from commercial organisations or traders will be deleted.

Forum: Orcs Nest On-Lion Message board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Call of Cthulhu - Beyond the Mountains of Madness in East London

We have a new Call of Cthulhu group of mixed ages and nationalities short of a few players. Our plan is to start the Beyond the Mountains of Madness campaign in June and play a smaller introduction campaign before that. Our intent is to play every Wednesday starting around 6.30 and finishing between 10 and 11. The venue is my house, located 5 minutes walk from Clapton overground station in Hackney (zone2).

Previous experience from Call of Cthulhu is not necessary, but due to the length and nature of the BtMoM campaign, we are looking for committed players. If you are interested joining us and/or have any questions, please send me an email.

If you want to join the expedition, I advise against reading too many reviews as they may spoil some bits of the game. Here's a small excerpt from one BtMoM review:

Beyond the Mountains of Madness (BtMoM) is by far the best Call of Cthulhu adventure ever published. There I've said it. Sure it's a bit of a bold statement I know, but I believe it wholeheartedly. Of course with that being said I must add a bit of a disclaimer - I have both played in and run this adventure, during which I struck up a friendship with the book's authors. This means I am probably a bit 'one-eyed' when it comes to this adventure, but nevertheless I'll try to give you an unbiased review.

On to the adventure itself, as that is what this book really is, one very long adventure. Sure it is divided into chapters, which can be grouped together as 'sections', but as written BtMoM has no distinct breaks in the storyline where the Investigators can rest up and recover (such as seen when travelling in other campaigns e.g. Masks of Nyarlathotep or Day of the Beast).

But what really stands out is the plain undeniable fact that BtMoM is a fantastic read, especially for the Keeper preparing for it for play. Like all good pieces of fiction the story unfolds like a roller coaster ride, tick, tick, ticking its way to the top before plunging quickly into the thick plot. Sure, there are some downsides to the way in which the adventure develops; I have read some people comment on the slow build up at the start of the adventure, while others have stated that the plot is 'railroaded' for their liking. Now while these are valid, they seem more like statements on the individual's 'style' of play (that is what style of game they enjoy playing), as opposed to any real weaknesses in the adventure. From a personal point of view the slow and unexpected beginning just makes the end all more exciting and worthwhile. Yes, the plot does follow the same path regardless of who is playing the game, but it's written in such a way that the story unfolds like a great horror novel, one worthy of Lovecraft himself. On top of which, the book is so full of information, sub-plots and intricate details that it is unlikely that any group of Investigators will ever discover the entire truth behind the situation they find themselves in…nor should they.

The premise of the adventure is simple enough, a second expedition to follow in Professor Dyer's footsteps to the Antarctic and discover what, if anything, was found by the ill-fated Miskatonic University expedition (as detailed in Lovecraft's classic 'At the Mountains of Madness'. Of course the world is unaware of what really happened on this Great Southern Continent, but rest assured that the Investigators, as valuable members of the Starkweather-Moore Expedition (SME) are soon going to find out.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Online Photo Albums   Email Forms   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com