18u Message Board

Welcome to our message board. If you need help,or just want to talk to someone you can leave a message here, but please don't give out any personal details (home addresses,telephone numbers).

We will respect your confidentiality unless we we are told about a serious crime or any child at risk Then we might have to talk to someone about it to get help.

18u Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
dilemma of non reflective student

reflecting on my lack of reflections in my non existent diary.well i have always been affected by this frenzy of doing something opposite!So if i had a math exam I would suddenly discover I NEEED to read Tolstoy's 'War and Peace'or learn about misteries of physical and chemical changes in matter. Yet,If I had a chemistry test I would develop this ill mannered interest in ANOVA test and statistical analysis.I am wierd.how about this piece of reflection? :P

Any advice how to crack down my 'reflective diary'??

lol

Re: dilemma of non reflective student

That sounds like one very confusing and one very good way of getting out of the situation in front of you Mila! You can avoid it for a while but it will still be there waiting for you. So my words of wisdom would be to write what you think and believe rather than what you think you should write to please others. If you're reflecting on the school we were in; did you think there were going to be that many disclosures? did anything surprise you? did anything not surprise you? Sometimes i think it helps trying to break it down into really small pieces and building on it from there. Although i over analyse everything to death so maybe you shouldn't listen to me! :)

I officially started my diary today. Thanks for a push Katy I needed it xx

well, personnally, i think diaries are for girls.

hope that helps?? woo ha ha!

K-Dog x

Your help is invaluable ;P see I have become a reflective student now, so it does work lol x

Reflecting is always a problem for me. How do you reflect on things that come first hand. The dilemmas of reflective writing come when something happens, you fully agree with it, but your organisation would EXPECT you to see it there way. There in lies the dilemma. Do you write what you feel? or do you write what your organisation wants you to feel? Or do you just not write at all.....One thing I am 100% certain. The only reflection I will be looking at is the one in the mirror in the morning. Thats true thats who we are If only life was that easy!!!

Firstly I completely understand Mila what you are talking about. When I was at school and had homework to do I would always seek out things to do other than my homework, even things that normally I wouldn't consider doing just to delay things.
I don't understand why the uni bosses should have the right to ask to see a personal reflection or diary, that should be private so I do sympathise.
The best thing to do in my experience is to get a pen get a diary and start writing, don't think yourself out of it, just to do :)

I totally agree. I acknowledge the fact that writing about stuff makes you critically analyze it and hopefully allows you to better understand the problem/situation.etc etc but I don't see why someone else should be reading it!! I think it can be a very personal writing and not necessarily to be shared with others...Anyhow I am back from school and I have quite a few reflections in my head ;)

So everyone is being 'made' to reflect these days? Some uni departments have created reflective blogs for all their students and we are going to be assessed on how well we reflect? I guess in medicine it could be argued thats pretty important - the idea of reflection is central to patient safety, its so important to critically examine your experience and learn from it to avoid future mistakes etc...
But is reflection not a personal thing? If im to be assessed on my 'reflection' isn't this totally missing the point - and going to make me more inclined to fabricate 'reflection'?

Ha, sorry for the little moan people - bit of a touchy subject this week! Have a good weekend! xx