18u Message Board

Welcome to our message board. If you need help,or just want to talk to someone you can leave a message here, but please don't give out any personal details (home addresses,telephone numbers).

We will respect your confidentiality unless we we are told about a serious crime or any child at risk Then we might have to talk to someone about it to get help.

18u Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Under the Rainbow

I read an article in the Dundee Courier last night and was dismayed at what I read. The article was on page 4 of the paper and had a headline of:
"CONFIDENT SCHOOLS NOT HOMOPHOBIC"
Now isn't that wonderful. Dundee Education Convener Liz Fordyce has insisted that homophobia is not a problem plaguing our schools.This article was spurned by our launch of our LGBT DVD Under the Rainbow.
I would like to ask her.....When was the last time she was in a school????
She goes on to say that "as far as I am aware, we dont have homophobic tendancies in schools. I would also have to say that by raising awareness that this sort of thing can happen often you encourage it where it didnt exist before". I must say that this is a bit remenicent of the TORY response to Clause 28.
I cannot believe that she has said this. Is it just me????????? Im not being paranoid ..........am I?????????????? Does that mean that we dont need the Under the rainbow DVD in Dundee as the school pupils are so perfect?
Let me know your feelings in this matter

Re: Under the Rainbow

lets start a campaign to get all LGBT people to move to Dundee, the only city in the world with no homophobia in the schools and according to police records, no hate crime! or is it so invisible that it's not even recorded???

What a joke. Let's say there is no homophobia and then people might believe it and everyone will live happily every after. What a totally ridiculous thing to say. I would welcome an open discussion as well and for her to accompany us to one of our sessions using our lgbt dvd.

If Liz Fordyce took the time and looked at the recent research that was completed by Stonewall Scotland, she would find that in 2007 a report called,' The School report', found that two thirds of children suffered direct homophobic bullying. In 2009, 'The Teachers Report' estimated that 150,000 pupils ARE affected by homophobia, and in the same report 9 out of 10 Teachers in High Schools, and 2 out of 5 Teachers in Primary Schools reported that Homophobic bullying happened in their schools. This research backs up the research carried out in Scotland in 2005 by S.Johnstone (The experience of homophobic bullying amongst teenagers in Scotland. A survey of 13 to 19 year olds) for LGBT Youth, which found that 26% of young people experience homophobic bullying in schools, 28% truanted to avoid homophobic bullying and 33% of the young people self harmed because of it. In addition 68% reported that LGBT issues were NEVER discussed in schools despite the high level of bullying and abuse. In 2008 reports on hate crime across Scotland showed it was increasing rapidly, or was being reported more often.
These surveys which have been completed by Stonewall and LGBT Youth Scotland, evidence that there is a problem, perhaps Liz Forsythe should have made herself more aware of the facts. Is Liz Forsyth saying that equality issues can be dealt with by not talking about them? Prejudice takes many forms.

I was quite inspired when I wrote that last piece, and also unforgivable as I was angry too. Maybe thats how it sounded good? It is very clear that ms Fordyce knows NOTHING of homophobia, however if she wishes to find out more, she should come and speak to some of our friends and family to ask of their experiences of this disease!!! How dare she even THINK that after we have been through the mangle that is known as Dundee,City Council that we would actually be going into HER schools!!!!! We have more important schools to go into that KNOW through the statistics I wrote about that there is a problem!!
I would also like to ask Liz Fordyce.......If they dont have a problem in Dundee schools.....why are they phoning for the DVD????? I believe Liz Fordyce is a plonker and cannot safely say that there is no homophobia in our schools........our workers, all of them, are experiencing it on a daily basis. Liz GET A LIFE