18u Message Board

Welcome to our message board. If you need help,or just want to talk to someone you can leave a message here, but please don't give out any personal details (home addresses,telephone numbers).

We will respect your confidentiality unless we we are told about a serious crime or any child at risk Then we might have to talk to someone about it to get help.

18u Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Secondary survivor

Hi everyone,

I feel very alone.

Someone very close to me is an abuse survivor. I've known for a long time that they are a survivor. I felt a little bit affected by what happened to them before, although at this moment in time I feel overwhelmed by it all. I'm always, always there for them, I wouldn't ever let them down and they trust me alot and can talk to me about it. I don't want to sound selfish, but I wish there was someone who I could talk to. About how I'm feeling, about the things that I'm finding difficult to cope with and I don't think it's right of me to weigh the survivor down with how I'm feeling incase I make them feel guilty or sad.

I also want to learn about other ways of supporting the survivor, incase I amn't giving them what they need. I care about them alot.

I have looked around for support for secondary survivors, but I can't really find it anywhere. I was wondering if I could possibly find help or even some advice or anything like that at Eighteen and Under. It would be an absolute godsend.

Like I said before, I don't want to come across as selfish, but I really feel like I am breaking apart and I don't know whether I can cope with all these emotions that I'm feeling, by myself.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post, it means the world to me.

Take care the now,

C

Re: Secondary survivor

Hi C,

Im sorry you are feeling alone and finding things difficult just now, it can be very hard to support a survivor and I understand that as one of our primary rules is that all of our support workers receive adequate support themselves!

Im sure that we can offer you the support and any advice that you may need, unfortunately im not sure what the phoneline opentimes are just now, but you can Email Jerri who is one of our support workers, her Email is jezz2088@aol.com

I hope that helps? our office number is 01382 206222 and you can leave a message there for someone to call you back if you prefer that to Email.

Take care,

Keiran

Re: Secondary survivor

I think it is very important that you get some support and someone to talk to about how you are feeling. it is not selfish at all and will help you cope. it is well documented that supporters of survivors can end up suffering from a condition called 'vicarious trauma'. get in touch with us.