18u Message Board

Welcome to our message board. If you need help,or just want to talk to someone you can leave a message here, but please don't give out any personal details (home addresses,telephone numbers).

We will respect your confidentiality unless we we are told about a serious crime or any child at risk Then we might have to talk to someone about it to get help.

18u Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
It's that time again

Hello. My name is Sandra and I have been a volunteer for Eighteen and Under for as long as I can remember. I slog away in the background where nobody sees me, not through choice, but because I work full time. As the festive season begins, I feel the need to write and thank everyone in the organisation for their support in another VERY successful year for us. Although we have lost some valued workers again, I'm sure they will come back and offer their services in volunteering with us. Lets hope and keep fingers crossed.
The work everyone at the centre is doing is just fabulous. If it weren't for you people, then a lot of youngsters may have found difficulty in talking. I know it takes time to build trust, but once you get it, you can actually begin to help survivors understand what they have gone through and reassurance that they are not alone.
I have no doubt that there is still some criticism out there about how we work or what we do, but that seems to me that, if we do have critics, then someone is paying attention to what we are achieving for such is small organisation can best be described as phenomenal.
As the holiday period approaches, I want to wish you and your family a very restful Yuletide, and remember to come back refreshed and ready to run when hitting the ground.

I for one will continue to raise funds and hopefully this will keep us ticking over, however, as many of you will realise, I'm not getting any younger so Bike rides around Scotland and Hadrians wall and John O Groats to Dundee are out of the picture nowadays, I will have to come up with another cunning plan.

As a Volunteer, Thank you for 2012 and hopefully I say this in the absence of survivors who for one reason or another cannot get onto the board. I hope we all stick together get our heads down and here's for a wonderful 2013.

Sandra

Re: It's that time again

THANKYOU EVERYONE!

C

hey everyone/stranger's!!!!
i know i havent been into the office this year i dont think and have lost contact with everyone ...

i just hope you's have all had a better year than i have..

G xx

Hey Gillian. I've not been in that often either but it doesn't mean that we don't think of those who need our help. Pop into the office, put your feet up and have a cuppa with some of the workers. I'm sure they would love to down tools to see whats been going on and give any assistance needed. I will be in and around today as I'm off but will be getting my Christmas shopping done in between helping out!! Lol no rest for the volunteer, but I'm sure I could use some help in getting the place looking good for the festive period. That goes for all of you out there. Feel like doing something? Come into the centre today or tomorrow and I will put you to work. I'm needing a hand to fundraiser for next year lol. Looking forward to seeing anyone there x x

Well said! Kettle is always on and we are open late on a Thursday evening just now.

That was really well said and very nice of you Sandra. Thank you for taking the time to write that. More importantly though, thank you for being such a wonderful volunteer all these years. This office works because of people like you.

Roll on 2013

I second that
Thank you all volunteers past and present for all your hard work and Dedication. Merry Christmas to you all.

Hey Sandra I just got your measage there been really busy megan's no been well really need to come see all of you miss tad all xx

Aw gee thanks Jerry. I just like to come onto the board now and then to let people know I am still here after all these years, and I do the work because I love the place, I love the Charity and I love the people there too. You don't have to work physically in there to be a part of it. That's the whole point of volunteering for the charity. I know how hard it is to keep volunteers interested, but once they get the feel for the place, ANYONE can find a niche and help. Even if its just going around sharpening pencils, making sure there are pens and paper beside each phone in the event we have to phone someone back. That is a job in itself....lol. The amount of pens that go missing in there is terrible!!! Lol. Even something like making tea or coffee and a wee tidy. Doesn't take much thought. That way, instead of you guys doing it, a volunteer takes all that away so you all can get on with the sterling service you all provide.