18u Message Board

Welcome to our message board. If you need help,or just want to talk to someone you can leave a message here, but please don't give out any personal details (home addresses,telephone numbers).

We will respect your confidentiality unless we we are told about a serious crime or any child at risk Then we might have to talk to someone about it to get help.

18u Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Help for a friend

A friend of mine has been sexually abused, and say that her parents won't listen to her, and don't care. This is the 3rd time, and it is gang related, so I think it is likely to happen again. Any advice on what she can do?

Re: Help for a friend

hi philip, am so sorry to hear about your friend and the horrible problems she is having. what is good is that she has been able to let you know. the fact that it has happened 3 times already and that it is gang related means that she needs some help in dealing with this.
is there any way she could approach someone in authority, like the police for example, for help. they will believe her and help her. alternatively, is there another family member she could talk to? Could she phone a help and advice centre such as 18u. the freephone number is 0800 731 40 80. there are other confidential agencies that are also there to help. it all depends where she lives. if you can say what area/country she is in i could maybe find some phone numbers for you to try.
good luch with this.

Thanks for responding so quickly. Southern California.

And one problem she has brought up with going to the police, when I suggested it, is the gang's retribution, if/when they find out that she went to the authorities. I still think that is the best solution, but she needs some convincing.

hey, i can understand her fears about going to the police but you have to remind her that the police are a bigger and better organised gang than the bullies who are abusing her. at least she has you to talk to. there are organisations she can talk to, or even you can talk to on her behalf. try to encourage her to talk to someone.
Phillip, you are such a good friend! with your support, your friend will get through this difficult time.

hi Phillip.
i totally agree with laurie on this and she has to just keep telling till somebody listens. the police can be very good in this type of situation and they'll want to help and make it stop. you both have to continue being so strong and it's brilliant that your helping her so much so well done. and remember if she or you need to talk to anyone then you can always phone 18 & Under on their free phone number or email if thats easier.
take care and stay strong