Welcome to The Rhode Island Paranormal Research Group's Message and Discussion Forum.

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message, ask questions or start a conversation via a post regarding paranormal research, paranormal investigation and paranormal phenomena.  Any and all other comments or subject matter will be deleted without exception.  We ask that since this is a youth accessible forum that no profanity be used here.  Also any content we deem inappropriate, especially material of an "adult" nature, abusive posts or posts perpetrating to be someone else will be deleted. 

All posts are subject to virus and spy-ware scanning before posting is allowed.

Violator's IP Number will be recorded, their post deleted and will ultimately be permanently barred from accessing this web-site. 

We created this forum in the hope it will become a source for knowledge and healthy debate.  Help us maintain our goal and enjoy.  Thank you!

Welcome to The Rhode Island Paranormal Research Group's Message and Discussion Forum.
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"The Gates Of Hell" Exeter, RI

Does anyone have any information on "The Gates of Hell"? I finally found the place after years of searching, and I must say.. I was somewhat disappointed. I hear a lot of stories about how terribly haunted this place is. I felt peaceful the whole time I was there, though others I was with felt panic. I did take a lot of interesting photos, and I am going through them now. Most of the 'orbs' I shot were taken as we were leaving. I felt a presence behind us, maybe "walking us out" so I kept snapping shots. In one there is a sequence of four orbs in a curve formation. Very neat. I also felt a presence sitting to my right as we were leaving, and I snapped a shot of two orbs there also. I would like to research a little background on this site before I go back again. I would love to know the story behind the house. When was it built? How and when did it burn down? Did anyone pass away here? Was it a result of the fire? I can not find any information on the web. When I search all I come up with is Chestnut Hill Cemetery being called "The Gates of Hell"... and the Devils child being buried there. The cemetery is very close to the location, but I am confused as to the background of the particular place I am speaking of. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: "The Gates Of Hell" Exeter, RI

I believe you are referring to "Hell's Gate". There is an urban legend that surrounds the place which you are no doubt aware of. The best place to research a site is the local library and police department. I also believe the site you refer to is actually in West Greenwich. Please keep us posted as to what you find out. Best of luck.

I have driven past "Hells Gate" several times in the past and have not had any experiences. Fact is I have only spotted it once. I do believe it to be on Plain Meeting House road.

From what I have been told there may be a spectral guardian dog that stands watch over the part of the road that is directly in front of the gates. Supposedly he vanishes once a cars bumper hits it.

Bobby

I went to the Gates of Hell once about 10 years ago. This is going to sound unbelievable but once we entered the road, we looked back and there were 2 big black dogs sitting in front of the gate, barring our way back out. I turned around a moment later and they were gone. I do not know when the house burned down, but it was still there when I went. There was a creepy hole in the floor that we couldn't see the bottom of, and a very strong presence in and around the house. I don't know the legend surrounding this place, but I believe there is something to watch out for there. I'd be interested in seeing some of the photos from your trip.

Yes, I wasn't sure if it was "The Gates of Hell" or "Hells Gate" I had heard it called so many things. Also, I'm a city girl, so I forget where I am sometimes. Thank you.

When I was teaching, many student claimed they had visited or wished to visit "Hell's Gate." Since that was one paranormal site I had never heard of or visit, I asked where it was located. No one seemed to be able to tell me exactly where. Coventry was the consensus, but no address. Regarding the Chestnut Hill Cemetery location, that's famous for the story of Mercy Brown, the last supposed vampire in Rhode Island. Another story entirely! The Plain Meeting House location may well refer to Nelly Vaughn, who has been mistaken for one of the RI vampires,but isn't. Her ghost has purportedly come back to defend her reputation. The grave is very hard to locate, since the stone had to be moved due to vandalism. It's at the corner of Plain Meeting House Rd. and Liberty Hill Rd. I know this because I live near Vampire Central,
Route 102, and my sister and I have been legend tripping since the sixties.

I went there just a couple of months ago. There is no floor left in the house. It is located on Plain Meeting house road, about one mile after you turn off Route 102. The entrance is on the right. There are no gates anymore, just a chain that block vehicles from driving up there. It's about 1/2 mile walk into the woods. The only place I felt uneasy was in the woods just before we got to the house and while standing outside the remains of the garage. I didn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary.

When the weather's better, I'll be sure to check it out.Thank you for the info. Does anyone know whether a
person with a camera on the property is considered trespassing?

Better to be safe than sorry. A call to the local police department would not hurt even if there are no "No Trespassing" signs in veiw. Keep in mind that all land is owned by someone or something and it would not matter what you were doing on the land, you would still be trespassing.

Bobby

Good point. It's always wise to let the local police know if you are going to a remote place. Also, keep in mind that, even though it is posted no hunting, this IS hunting season and if you go be sure to wear alot of bright orange. Usually a hat and vest will do.

I've made numerous trips myself to Nellie's area, if you wanna call it that anymore. Since they removed her stone, I used to think that big block was her's. I then remembered the story about Hell's Gate my parents used to tell me. Old lady at her house with 2 dobermans or something with glowing green? eyes. Me and 3 of my buddies went there one night because Nellie's and Mercy's became boring so we wanted an adventure. We walked in a fair amount until we came to an empty circle with nothing there, I'm assuming that where the house was? As soon as we reached this clearing we heard the howls of coyotes and we were outta there lol I'd like to go back during the day sometime to actually see what's back farther.

I've heard so many different versions of the Hell's Gate urban legend over the years that its hard to tell what's what anymore. All of them seem to say the place is haunted by something, someone or some thing, but as with Maggie my observations say the place, for lack of a better description, is dead.

I will say that people continue to write us after going there, all claiming to have encountering something that put the scare into them big time. Whether it was Casper, critters or imagination only a lengthily study of the site can answer.

Myself, until proven otherwise, I really think the encounters these are the result of a natural mix of bats, owls and other wildlife, preconceived imagination and a genuine wanting to get spooked.

Andy

So "The Gates of Hell" continue to elude us. It interests me because I have heard about it so often (mostly apocryphal)that I have always assumed there must be something to it, since the story seems to persist. None of the reports here seem to have much in common, though-- mostly " a sense of" a presence. I'm still not 100% sure of its exact location, since even that is in dispute. The expression "urban legend" comes to mind.
However, any place with possible paranormal occurrences is of interest. What I find particularly intriguing is that "The Gates of Hell" never show up in any published volume of legends and ghosts of Rhode Island, and believe me, I have a huge collection which I needed to seriously research topics for graduate courses (just so you know I'm not an obsessive crank).
What's needed is some genuine paranormal research by trained observers with up-to-date technology. As it was rightly observed, the place must belong to some person, and if the exact location were known, plat maps in the town hall would give that info. Then permission to investigate could be given--or refused.
New actual paranormal sites in RI are getting hard to come by.
I wonder, too, if this hasn't become RI's answer to Connecticut's Dudleytown, which has become so notorious and supposedly active that police frequently patrol the area and it has been fenced off to prevent the curious from a dangerous paranormal situation that has supposedly ended in death and/or madness. Wish I knew more about Gates of Hell and could be more helpful.P3PW

whats the exact address

There really isn't an exact address. Kinda just find it, or you dont. Very strange. Apparently the whole place has been demolished. Sad really. However, there's two cemeteries there.

For all the different rumors of the gates of hell in West Greenwich , I was the lead investigator in the case back in 1986. There was no old lady that lived there, there was a guy with two dogs (Rottweiler’s) . There was a house and behind house was large barn a pond and a old fire trail road. There was a investigation started about animal abuse after I received information about animal parts being found by property., but then
I received information of a marijuana field in woods off plain rd , while investigating the information I did come across lots of marijuana fields which ended up being on the land of the gates of hell. If you want to know more just ask, plus there were shots fired but there was no big shoot out like some of the rumors that have been stated.

There was a raid there in 1986 were the owners dogs were shot. There was over 1.2 million dollars worth of marijuana seized, if you want more information just ask .

Which direction did you go?