Here's the next edition of the 5 minute interview series, this time with our very own coach Roy Brunning, enjoy!
1. The reason I started triathlon was…… I fractured my neck playing rugby for RAF Cranwell and while I was sat at home with a neck brace on watching tv I saw the infamous Julie Moss 1982 Hawaii IM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbWsQMabczM and thought that looks bloody hard I fancy a go at that!
2. To balance family life, work and training I…. clearly struggle! However I am very lucky to have an extremely understanding wife and 2 daughters.
3. Before a race I.... am usually injured… otherwise I like to make sure I am as prepared as possible and recce the bike course and transition area. (text book answer)
4. During a long training session I... eat loads
5. The last time I stacked it was… stacked as In crashed was recce-ing the off road bike course of a Duathlon, it was proper! Stacked as in pulled out was a tri in Cyprus when I only ever planned to swim and bike, I didn’t put run trainers into T2 incase I got carried away and tried the run (strangely I was injured again).
6. My most embarrassing triathlon moment was… having already spent 10 mins in the portaloo at the last feed station on the IM Lanza bike course, having to pop my head out of the door and ask for even more loo roll… i did have a very upset tummy!
7. I prefer… (One piece or two piece?) 1 piece for shorter stuff, it keeps everything tucked in. 2 piece for IM incase I need a stop and let everything out…. Essential see above!!!
8. Something that not many people know about me is… there is plenty here so I will go with a clean one! I was the British Forces Germany u86kg judo champion as an SAC Chef. I won’t mention the night in the cells under close arrest or the naked…
9. My pet hates are… footballers diving, Scumchester united fans, rudeness, middle lane drivers, Eamon Holmes!
10. The thing that saps me of energy (beyond triathlon) is… Leeds United… it is such hard work supporting that team they never make anything simple. But I love it.
11. In the event of a house fire I would rescue… assuming my family are not home I would rescue my 50” HD Plasma TV and cinema system, its awesome!
12. If I could live anywhere it would be… somewhere hot and sunny, on the coast, with some good mountain climbs within riding distance and good local restaurants and bars? Answers on a post card please!
13. My favourite holiday destination is… camping in the lake district, love it.
14. My ideal day would be… a rest day having had a tough weeks training; a proper ‘boys day out’ with some real ‘mens men’. The gang would include, Vinney Jones, Razor Ruddock & Paul Merson (footballers) Ray Winston & Jason Statham (actor) Lawrence Dallaglio (rugby) Freddie Flintoff & Phil Tuffnell (cricket) Gordon Ramsey & Heston Blumenthal (chefs) The Kaiser Chiefs (band and Leeds fans) David Hay (boxer) Jeff Stelling & Tubes (sky sports) Peter Kay (funny guy) not an extensive list but you get my drift. Meet early for a full English breakfast and a Guinness at Gordon Ramseys restaurant Petrus, on to the pub for a few beers (via the bookies for a quick flutter on the days events) before black cab driven by Paddy McGuinness, to Twickenham to watch England beat Australia in the rugby world cup final in a lunchtime kick off. helicopter across to watch Chrissie Wellington and Dan Graves finish and win IM UK against a stellar field of ‘who’s who’ in IM racing. Private jet, sponsored by Guinness flown by John Travolta (live stand-up show by Chubby Brown) back to Wembley to watch England batter Germany in the football world cup final from an exec box sponsored by Guinness in the evening (at half time watch the live feed of Ali Brownlee & Jodie Swallow winning Olympic gold medals), walk onto the pub to celebrate for an hour with the fans around the ground, motor bike taxi on to finish the day with supper at The Fat Duck (Heston’s restaurant) and watch the highlights of Bradley Wiggins and Team Sky win the TDF, finally an Aston Martin Vanquish cab home driven by Jenson Button. If Heineken did days out….
15. My ideal night out would be… a quiet night in, I am not one for excess (see above).
16. My favourite film is… this is a tough one but its between the blues brothers and lock stock and 2 smoking barrels??? I think the BB just gets it on the line!
17. In another life I would have been... a mouse, I love cheese!
18. My greatest fear is losing… family is the obvious answer so that aside – losing my place in the queue for cup final tickets when the mighty Leeds United are next there.
19. My earliest sporting memory is… I must have been destined for multi sport as it was winning the obstacle race in school sports day!
20. My favourite smell is… fresh garlic frying in butter… Mmmmn!!
21. If I could time travel I would… transport myself backwards (or is that forwards?) in and IM race to see what its like racing with the leaders at the finish.
22. Describe triathlon in 3 words... a lifestyle balance (meaning it balances the other side of my life like my ideal day out).
23. The most important lesson life has taught me... don't take it to seriously!
On A Limb
May 16, 2011 - 4:27PM
Re: 5 minute interview...Roy Brunning
Geezo Roy, how many hours are there in your ideal day?