Return to Website

GLO's Exposed Discussion Forum

This is the forum area where you can discuss topics related to the Biblical exposure of Greek organizations. All posts are reviewed; if they are offensive they'll be deleted. 

Any copyrighted material contained herein is for: criticism, comments, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. All used in accordance with the Fair Use Exception 17 USC 107. 

GLO's Exposed Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Iota Phi Theta

Im a student at a HBCU and im interested in joining Iota Phi Theta. EVen though they aren't the most popular on campus, they are a friendly, laid back people who has the highest GPA on campus and does the most community service. After reviewing this website and other places and praying on it, I have yet to see much about Iota. So im asking you is Iota a good fraternity to join because of the lack of info on cults and other bad things?
p.s. If you do find anything, can u please show me?

Re: Iota Phi Theta

Well, Iota Phi Theta is indeed a great frat geared towards the unpaved road. Our Founders designed this fraternity to go against the grain. We are the fastest growing African American fraternity in the country and we are being recognized around the world. So if u want to know the meaning of true brotherhood, join Iota Phi Theta

nongreek
Im a student at a HBCU and im interested in joining Iota Phi Theta. EVen though they aren't the most popular on campus, they are a friendly, laid back people who has the highest GPA on campus and does the most community service. After reviewing this website and other places and praying on it, I have yet to see much about Iota. So im asking you is Iota a good fraternity to join because of the lack of info on cults and other bad things?
p.s. If you do find anything, can u please show me?

Iota has some issues when it comes to the Gospel. I will be back later with specifics.

Ok Thank You

They define individuality in terms of spiritual, physical, intellectual, emotional, and social. They go on to give all individuals the right to express themselves, as long as it harms no other.

Now in the context of this being written by men of all walks of life, some saved (willing to compromise) and some unsaved, of course this is well and good. But I know it to be a harmful thing to see any individual witness a faith, other than Christianity to another, especially one Iota to another. But the Christian Iota has no right or recourse to rebuke his fellow brother for proselytizing an aberrant faith. of whom he is yoked to, and in covenant with.......

Iota prides itself on being different from other BGLO's in terms of its mission. But let me say this loud and clear, they have done nothing to deal with the REAL, visible issues of the black community.

Here are some other problems for the Believer in Christ.

As a part of their initiation ceremony, their is the "SACRED" beverage, "SACRED" cup, and "SACRED" paddle. Allow me to interject that sacred in most cultures, means holy, very very important, of significant value and meaning.

One must kiss the sacred paddle. The purpose and meaning of this gesture is THE LOVE OF IOTA.

So, a great question for OW-OW..... Is brandy still used in the sacred beverage served to ALL initiates? (Yes or No)

Now we come to the subject of the black cross. The cross is not only a symbol, but an actual method of suffering for the God and Savior Jesus Christ. What IOTA has done to diminish, devalue, and make a mockery of this symbol is not surprising.

The fact that the black cross represents a tribute to all fallen brothers is an issue. Jesus died for all men, a sinless sacrifice. It should only be a tribute, if at all, to those who accept Jesus. The fact that it's even on the shield with the Centaur is ridiculous. Yet, the designer of the shield was a an alcoholic. Now this is where the problem comes in; I am sure he loved the frat, but did his fraternity brothers love him enough to excommunicate him from it for behavior unbecoming? Did they send him somewhere to dry out? Only they can answer that, but according to their history, it is not recorded.

The yellow candle, the candle on the shield is their to represent that, BROTHERHOOD is THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD. But the paddle is a representation or symbol of, "the pain and humility the centaur must endure to see the light of brotherhood" (Page 325, Iota Phi Theta, The Founding and Ascendancy)

So in order to see the light of the world, you must first understand brotherhood. Well in a backwards sense they have it right, but it's not the brotherhood of man, but the fact that we show that we are his disciples by our love for one another (i.e. the true brotherhood and sisterhood.)

Did you get my other email?

Yes I did!

I dont appreciate how you tried to expose our fraternity. theres NOTHING wrong with what we do. and we have and r currently involved in the black community. it isnt our fault that we were founded a little later than the rest, but we are constantly growing, spreadind brotherhood to the world OW-OW OLE!!!

Ow Ow,

There are Christians out there who believe that BGLO's pose threats, not just to them as individuals, but to the source of their belief, JESUS. When I say threat to Him, I do not mean it in the same way, as one human threatens another; I am talking about what he teaches in His Word. There are some Christians who may have interest in GLO's, but are unsure, because no one will be honest with them, about GLO's. Why is this? Well it's not because of me. People were denouncing before I decided to leave, and the internet has produced worldwide access to a biblical worldview of GLO's. I am giving them that; I am giving what the organization will not offer them before hand due to the secret nature.

GIVE CHRISTIANS THE RIGHT TO SEE ALL THE FACTS, THEN MAKE THEIR OWN CHOICE.

Ok. I understand that now. I dont know about the other GLO's but Iota doesnt worship some random god or goddesses. We are very secular. and yes, one of our founders was an alcoholic, but the rest of the founders did disassociate him until he got his life in order.

I never mentioned the word worship, or other gods. But kissing a paddle to show allegiance is an act of devotion/worship. How many guys have done this? How many Christian men have done this? My concern is for people not being given the book to read it for themselves. This is one of the unique idiosyncrasies of BGLO's. Being an Ex-Greek myself, I understand why, but no one in GLO's seems willing to tell why they are exclusive, which is my nice way of saying, elitist.

Again, I dont know about other GLO's but Iota is FAR from elite. You used to be a Que, so you know how the rest of D9 treat us sometimes. We are still living by our motto, "building a tradition, not resting upon one!" and not in a sacred way.

Iota Phi Theta is far from being elite. You used to be a Que, so you know how the rest of D9 treat us sumtimes, if we were even mentioned.

Come on man, let's be real here. You know your frats original name before it became Iota Phi Theta???

So in actuality, you were not doing anything new, just another leg in carrying the fraternal torch of debauchery and lasciviousness, two characteristics of your fraternity's mascot, the Centaur.

"The Centaur's are half man, and half horse. They have the body of a horse but, in place of the horse's head the have the torso, head and arms of a man. Most are wild and savage, known for lustfulness and drunkenness."
http://edweb.sdsu.edu/people/bdodge/scaffold/GG/centaur.html

You say it's mainly secular, yet one of its National Programs centers around spiritual health.

"THE AFYA NJEMA PROGRAM:

Afya (aah-fee-yah) Njema (j-ma), which means "Good Health" in Swahili, is a concept which allows the fraternity to deal with a number of “health-related” issues faced by African-Americans and persons of African decent. The program has three main categories: Physical health, Mental health, and Spiritual health. Under the umbrella of the Afya Njema Program,

*the fraternity will attempt to educate the public on matters which fall under these three categories.*

The fraternity plans on not just becoming a educational force, but will also endeavor to raise money to aid in the research of various diseases."
http://www.iotaphitheta.org/service/an.htm

Key word MOST are wild and savage. and its just a mascot! and afya njema program is exactly what it means "good health" in swahili and we try to promoto good health in every aspect.

Based on the fraternity's demeanor and definition of the Centaur, Chiron is not the Centaur you emulate. Your founders chose the Centaur for specific reasons.

You see, this is what I am talking about, why don't you just come out and define what the Centaur means? And to my knowledge and research, there is only one "good" Centaur. The fact is, how can a beast, born of "a false god" and a fake person be good?

You say its just a symbol, but you cannot change what it originally was, and this is called a Euphemism. Trying to make something negative appear positive.

My point of every aspect is that their is only one means to spiritual health, John 14:6. So please define spiritual health?

I noticed you have denied nothing about the paddle, the ritual drink, etc. Now you all may not serve brandy to the initiates, but your ritual says you do. WHAT IS TRUE?

As I read over the posts again, I see I already asked you about the brandy????????

CHiron is the centaur we emulate and yes, brandy is a part of our ritual. You just have everything misunderstood.

Thank-You for your answers.

Do you have written proof of this? By the way, there are some parts in the Handbook that relate to his character, and some that relate to the other centaurs.

Are all initiates required to drink brandy?

I do not have everything misunderstood. Do you think by choosing Chiron that that's a good thing in the site of God? Maybe the God you mention in the Iota Prayer is pleased with the Centaur symbol, but what about the true God?

This is just like how some GLO's write God instead of gods for Invictus THINKING it makes things better, But does it really?

I thank whatever gods may be
or
I thank whatever God may be

One, at first glance sounds better, but in reality it's no different.

I NEVER recited invictus in my life! not even in my pledge process! I made sure that my chapter knew about wat invitcus was really about and we dont use it in the process today! we r all christian men in my chapter and bein in Iota Phi Theta NEVER strayed us away from the Word

OWOW1963
I NEVER recited invictus in my life! not even in my pledge process! I made sure that my chapter knew about wat invitcus was really about and we dont use it in the process today! we r all christian men in my chapter and bein in Iota Phi Theta NEVER strayed us away from the Word

I am glad you are saved, but shrugging off the centaur as simply a symbol, while seeing it important to ignore Invictus is an oxymoron. So what else did you not do that the fraternity sanctions? I guess you all did not kiss the paddle either?

Name some Christian based programs that you all partake in that are building a tradition? What are you all doing that makes you different? Do you have an anti-abortion program? What about a safe sex education program?

Interesting e-mail address for a Christian.

I want to ask you a question.

You say you and your chapter brothers are all Christians, are you born again and living holy?

You have the luxury of being anonymous. Where did you pledge?

We are not elitists,

Iota is a bond and which brothers show how to care and be there for one another. Jobs just don't hire anyone, simply because everyone isn't qualified to do the task required. It's that simple, we don't exclude anyone. We don't build leaders....WE UNITE THEM.

ABOWTTIME 1963 FA 08
We are not elitists,

Iota is a bond and which brothers show how to care and be there for one another. Jobs just don't hire anyone, simply because everyone isn't qualified to do the task required. It's that simple, we don't exclude anyone. We don't build leaders....WE UNITE THEM.

Well, as I have recently found out, you do not exclude anyone.

But allow me to ask this, Jesus doesn't exclude anyone either, but expects everything you all do, except to repent and change your lives.

What do you do with the liar, drunkard, fornicator, homosexual, etc.? Well, according to you, you embrace their sin, unconcerned that they change, unless the behavior is "SOCIALLY UNACCEPTABLE" of course............

the breakdown of my email is that vers ****** A white man called me that when i went to mississippi when i was younger. i didnt know what "vers" meant, but that statement stayed with me ever since, but thats not the issue. anywho, you make it seems that because im an iota, that im destined to go to hell. Y? because of sum people that are also in the org. there are sinners that are Christians too so what about them? are they going to hell too when they die? i read some of your posts about the other fraternities/sororities, and we dont do that @ all! i never even heard of those gods/godesses, and other deities until i read them.

OWOW1963
the breakdown of my email is that vers ****** A white man called me that when i went to mississippi when i was younger. i didnt know what "vers" meant, but that statement stayed with me ever since, but thats not the issue. anywho, you make it seems that because im an iota, that im destined to go to hell. Y? because of sum people that are also in the org. there are sinners that are Christians too so what about them? are they going to hell too when they die? i read some of your posts about the other fraternities/sororities, and we dont do that @ all! i never even heard of those gods/godesses, and other deities until i read them.

Tell us a little about yourself OW OW. You want to label Christians in the same boat as yourself to soothe your own conscience for how you live. Never said greeks were destined to hell. I think greek life is a perilous place for believers to be, and should avoid them at all costs.

" there are sinners that are Christians too"........ Explain how this applies to you????????

you talk about all this Christianity stuff but Im a Jew so none of this applys to me right?

OWtlaw6
you talk about all this Christianity stuff but Im a Jew so none of this applys to me right?

Yes, because the Gospel of Jesus Christ applies to you whether you accept Him/it or reject Him/it.

All men, everywhere are commanded to repent.

everything you heard is not accurate..... i'm just going to leave it at that and God Bless You

i am member of Iota Phi Theta also....I am born again and I have recieved the gift of the holy ghost. I will not go tit for tat with on this subject... The information you were giving is wrong.

I pledge at Central State University in ohio

Mr. A
i am member of Iota Phi Theta also....I am born again and I have recieved the gift of the holy ghost. I will not go tit for tat with on this subject... The information you were giving is wrong.

Then by all means enlighten us. But I will tell you this, the information directly from the Handbook is true and accurate. So you can make the claims you do, but they are baseless without any supporting information.

And of course you do not want to go tit for tat, you have, but will not bring anything concrete to the table of discussion. By the way, you only know what they taught you. See, that's the way it goes when the information is in the hand of the oppressor.

Now to you, Holy Ghost experience. What language did you speak in when you received? A claim of receiving the Holy Ghost does not carry any weight when I have seen the words that your book states.

By the way, were you born again when you pledged? If so, I would assume you are paper.

why does it matter whose made and whose business?

hardway1963
why does it matter whose made and whose business?

I believe you already know the answer to that question, so please elaborate?

Spell first, then change the "black nation"

Antonio,

Your post was deleted for suggestive language. Please re-post without the D word.

How are you able to confirm these allegations against Iota Phi Theta

N/A
How are you able to confirm these allegations against Iota Phi Theta
I have the Ascendancy book by John Slade.

Where did you pledge since you claim to know so much