Return to Website

GLO's Exposed Discussion Forum

This is the forum area where you can discuss topics related to the Biblical exposure of Greek organizations. All posts are reviewed; if they are offensive they'll be deleted. 

Any copyrighted material contained herein is for: criticism, comments, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. All used in accordance with the Fair Use Exception 17 USC 107. 

GLO's Exposed Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AKA

I was thinking of seeking membership into this organization, but now Im not so sure.

I love the Lord with all of my heart and in no way would want to do anything displeasing to him.
As I have been on other websites reading posts, everyone is so secretive and condescending, so now I have a lot of unanswered questions.

I am confused as to how joining conflicts with Christianity?

Can I opt out and choose not to participate?

If someone could please explain

Re: AKA

This is my correct email address fullycommited777@yahoo.com , it is not correct on the initial post that I made.

In this post the email address is correct.

TESTIMONY

"I have not read all the comments, but the Lord knows I plan to! I am not now, nor have I ever been a member of any “divine nine” organization, however, I am a member of a local sorority, & I am also a pastor’s daughter. My uncles are pastors, my aunts evangelists & First Ladies. Both my paternal grandparents were pastors, (my gma was the first african american woman to pastor a church in Key West, Florida!) My parents encouraged me to pursue my sorority membership, after I expressed my interest because they felt as though I was finally going to finish something after I started it. That’s just the parental way, I was lazy & never went through with anything. During the pledge process however, my family was in turmoil, I couldn’t pay my dues, I didn’t make all the lines & my GPA went from a 3.3 to a 2.5. I felt screwed. FINALLY after six months, I made it across the burning sands and my parents were happy.

Afterwards I fully realized my desire to be a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, but I couldn’t do so because of my enrollment in a community college, & because I had planned on transferring to a 4 year college later on, I decided to do massive research on the organization to be prepared for the interest meetings & eventually the pledge process. Because, lets all be real here, no matter what they say, they STILL pledge.

So back to the issue here, I finally yielded to the Lord as my personal savior (*applause* LOL) & read my Bible, I actually sleep with it next to me, but I was SO enthralled with the women, excuse me, “ladies of AKA” that I was determined to find out EVERYTHING. I even did the impossible. I obtained a copy of their ritual book. (I know, I’m SUPERWOMAN.) I also have DST & APhiA, and if you need proof, I can send you the scanned pages.

I used to scower (sp?) the internet looking for chants, songs & dances that would help me feel like a member, THAT bloodthirst in itself is sinful!! I stopped reading my Bible, I was too busy reciting the founders from memory, I wasn’t praying, I was too busy looking at pink & green probates, etc. My mind was consumed with the “pretty girls who wear twenty pearls”. Even to this day, I have to ask God to help me with the desire to be accepted, because that's honestly all it is. Its a desire for the FLESH to be validated.

I said all that to say, if you don’t feel the presence of God LEADING YOU to join these organizations, I wouldn’t. I feel God sends some people to these things to teach them lessons, or to help bring others out of bondage. This comment was in no way meant to condemn, but I just hope people go to God first & that he has mercy on those who do not see."

Can you send me the book? I really want to join however I keep hearing things about it being not chrisitan. Im little worried I am going to pray however I just wanted some other point of views on AKA.

Hello, I am a student at Florida State University and I am writing because I hope you can help me. I have been asked to attend an interest social for Alpha phi Alpha fraternity, inc but this is where the problem run in...... I have been into a strong Christian background for most of my life because that's how I have been raised but I really would like to know what I would be getting myself into ahead of time before I consider taking that step. I read that you have a copy of the ritual book. It really would mean a lot to me if i can see the ritual book for APhiA or any of the other greeks to see if this is something that i really want to do before I make a possible mistake........ Sincerely potentially INterested;

*sigh*

If you are genuinely interested in joining my Sorority (or any other Greek-letter organization for that matter)...STOP trying to take shortcuts.

Get your GPA up, do some real work in your community, and stop spending time SCOURING the internet for copies of rituals that you haven't earned the right to experience or witness.

[To the young lady who said she was engulfed by her interest to become a member: do not blame Alpha Kappa Alpha for your inability to manage your time and prioritize.]

99% of what you find will be inaccurate; the other 1% won't matter because you won't understand its meaning or context.

Reaching any goal in life is that much sweeter because of the journey. Enough of the microwave Greek mentality! If you want to become a member, earn it.

As far as the information you receive from "ex-Greeks," consider the source (and the fact that years after denouncing,they still choose to identify as "former member of XYZ" and devote such huge amounts of energy to tearing down organizations they've supposedly left behind).

If you'd like a more accurate image of membership in a Greek-lettered organization, consider seeking out first hand accounts from active members with a (much more) balanced perspective.

Good Luck in your search!

PrettyG20P

Pretty
*sigh*

Min. H
Sighs back after reading first few sentences.

Pretty
If you are genuinely interested in joining my Sorority (or any other Greek-letter organization for that matter)...STOP trying to take shortcuts.

Min. H
By shortcuts, you mean doing the research, but not finding information in the rituals, right? LOL!!!!!!!

Pretty
Get your GPA up, do some real work in your community, and stop spending time SCOURING the internet for copies of rituals that you haven't earned the right to experience or witness.

Min. H
What REAL work? Assuming you belong to a black sorority, AKA, you all have done nothing to come against the greatest onslaught against black women and children. Rather, your sorority has aided and abetted this onslaught through direct promotion and abject silence. I am talking about ABORTION.

Pretty
[To the young lady who said she was engulfed by her interest to become a member: do not blame Alpha Kappa Alpha for your inability to manage your time and prioritize.]

99% of what you find will be inaccurate; the other 1% won't matter because you won't understand its meaning or context.

Min. H
As ALL Greeks do, they make the accusations of inaccuracy, but never bring forth information proving that fact. SIGH.........

Pretty
Reaching any goal in life is that much sweeter because of the journey. Enough of the microwave Greek mentality! If you want to become a member, earn it.

Min. H
Here's the promotion of PLEDGING/HAZING.

Pretty
As far as the information you receive from "ex-Greeks," consider the source (and the fact that years after denouncing,they still choose to identify as "former member of XYZ" and devote such huge amounts of energy to tearing down organizations they've supposedly left behind).

If you'd like a more accurate image of membership in a Greek-lettered organization, consider seeking out first hand accounts from active members with a (much more) balanced perspective.

Good Luck in your search!

PrettyG20P

Min. H
Ex-Members provide perspectives that current members cannot give, the whole truth, unedited.

Here's an accurate image of membership in AKA. 2 out of every 3 people who are AKA's are no longer active or financial. What does that tell you? Almost 70% of all AKA's alive do not fulfill the sorority's obligations.