Return to Website

GLO's Exposed Discussion Forum

This is the forum area where you can discuss topics related to the Biblical exposure of Greek organizations. All posts are reviewed; if they are offensive they'll be deleted. 

Any copyrighted material contained herein is for: criticism, comments, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. All used in accordance with the Fair Use Exception 17 USC 107. 

GLO's Exposed Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Justifying Pledging/Hazing

Human nature: The need for acceptance. So-called initiation rights that subject you to obstacles to show ones allegiance. Greeks thru pledging, churches thru christening/baptism/confirmation, sports thru physical and overt hazing as well as gangs. This type of behavior permeates our society.

All are variations of the same theme. "If you want to be a part of this group, you must jump thru these hoops." "You must believe as we believe, do as we do or your life is nothing" or from a religious position; "Either believe in our doctrines, or you go to Hell, Tatarus, Purgatory...etc." Most, if not all of these hoops have absolutely nothing to do with the organizations founding principles nor founder(s). This is the root of the problem. People rely on others interpretations and many times those interpretations are incorrect or skewed based upon personal preferences and experiences.

Both pledging and hazing are illegal in the D9 and when exposed, should be dealt with in a court of law. The church[pl] too has it's issues. But for some, biting the hand that feeds them is a difficult endeavor especially when that hand provides a title, a place to worship and the admiration/affection of people who listen to that person's message.

I saw take care of your own house before taking care of others. If your life is perfect, then continue with your condemnation of others. However, if it isn't, work on yourself first.

Then, and only then can you lead by example.

Min. H
I know Greeks on certain levels; coworkers, Facebook friends, message boards, personal phone conversations, etc.

Well, I was listening to someone discuss how their pledge process helped them through certain things, and if it had not been for that, they probably would not have been able to get through the things they did. As I was listening though, I heard the same old crap I hear from people who profess to be saved and are Greek. This person was talking about how a guy was crying when a Big Brother was getting on his case. He pulled the guy aside and gave him that same foolish line; "hey man this might not be for you...." Yep! And you may have just lost one of the greatest assets to your organization. One would think that after having to pledge almost 12 months, due to someone else doing the right thing of reporting the pledging that it would be time for this madness to stop. Instead, it's the exact opposite.

Now all the while, this person is explaining how they almost got suspended, BUT how the Big Brothers, the ones who are supposed to be teaching them life lessons, LIED in the Dean of the school's face about hazing allegations. This is someone who professes to be saved talking to me, but I said nothing, why? The guilty look, speech, conscience was all I needed to see.

So I will say now as I always have, pledging/hazing is evil, wrong, ungodly, no matter what results it produces. I strongly believe that although something may produce some apparent good things, there are yet hidden evil fruits within (i.e. If the world, carnal Christians, etc. would listen now, and in times past), a lot of the mess we see today within the church would not be occurring. When the church does not take a stand, it ceases to be what it is called to be, Ekklesia (a calling out), the body of believers.

Now most Greeks will tell you that they would never do it over. That should tell them and anyone else that the process is no good. Now look at what I said above, how the apparent fruit of pledging is good, yet in one statement, one is admitting that it's not really worth it. The question is why?

Re: Justifying Pledging/Hazing

Allen
"Human nature: The need for acceptance. So-called initiation rights that subject you to obstacles to show ones allegiance. Greeks thru pledging, churches thru christening/baptism/confirmation, sports thru physical and overt hazing as well as gangs. This type of behavior permeates our society. All are variations of the same theme."

Min. H
God certainly has the right to choose what hoops (initiation rites) man must jump through, not denominations. This is where all man-made rules are separated from The Bible. So they are not variations of the same theme.

Allen
"If you want to be a part of this group, you must jump thru these hoops." "You must believe as we believe, do as we do or your life is nothing" or from a religious position; "Either believe in our doctrines, or you go to Hell, Tatarus, Purgatory...etc." Most, if not all of these hoops have absolutely nothing to do with the organizations founding principles nor founder(s). This is the root of the problem. People rely on others interpretations and many times those interpretations are incorrect or skewed based upon personal preferences and experiences.

Min. H
The earliest EVIDENCE of VIOLENT hazing in BGLO's is 1914. The earliest evidence of hazing among BGLO's is 1906. That's right! perpetrated by the founders. So let's not get this twisted here. Hazing from the very FOUNDING was an ACCEPTABLE PRACTICE to which the founders may have merely given ONLY LIP SERVICE to. Due to no internet, national news services, a death due to pledging would make local news, bury the dead, and life goes on.

Allen
Both pledging and hazing are illegal in the D9 and when exposed, should be dealt with in a court of law. The church[pl] too has it's issues. But for some, biting the hand that feeds them is a difficult endeavor especially when that hand provides a title, a place to worship and the admiration/affection of people who listen to that person's message.

Min. H
Well you are talking to the right person about the title issue. But I am the wrong one when it comes to not voicing my opinion to the top man.

Allen
I saw take care of your own house before taking care of others. If your life is perfect, then continue with your condemnation of others. However, if it isn't, work on yourself first.

Then, and only then can you lead by example.

Min. H
Leading by example does not require perfection Allen, and in this case it makes you double-tongued. You are doing exactly what you believe I shouldn't be, yet you are not perfect either. So how do you expect to lead?

I actually agree with some of your sentiments about the church, which is why I never made my ministry about title, money, admiration, etc.

God Bless You and I wouldn't mind having a conversation with you!

919/278-8911