Return to Website

GLO's Exposed Discussion Forum

This is the forum area where you can discuss topics related to the Biblical exposure of Greek organizations. All posts are reviewed; if they are offensive they'll be deleted. 

Any copyrighted material contained herein is for: criticism, comments, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. All used in accordance with the Fair Use Exception 17 USC 107. 

GLO's Exposed Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sigma Alpha Iota

Hello! I am a Christian and was very hesitant about joining one of the large social sororities on my campus because of the stereotypes associated with them (promiscuity, alcohol abuse, etc.) However, I am a music major, and joined a professional music fraternity for women from a Christian friend of mine. It is a small organization meant to encourage women musicians and to serve the school of music on the campus. The organization was founded by 7 women musicians in 1903 at the University of Michigan. All Biblical texts used in rituals are not altered in any way to include SAI, but are used in their entirety. Also, there was never mention of any kind of binding oath, only that we were never to join another music sorority and that we were not to reveal the secret handshakes or meanings in the crest/letters. I was wondering about your opinion. Your advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Instant Messenger: Ashls121,2

Re: Sigma Alpha Iota

I will e-mail you Friday. From my research, I found nothing. I want to e-mail you with things to look for.

"I was wondering about your opinion. Your advice would be appreciated. Thank you!"

Ashley Rose, why are you seeking the approval of man on the organization that you chose to become a member of? Through research of your history, ritual and whatever other study materials that you received should actually answer your own questions. If you sought God before you joined and it was well with your soul, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. As long as you are putting God first and serving Him, it shouldn't be a problem.

I pray that didn't come out abrasive, because it wasn't meant to be. If it did, I want to take this time to apologize.

Be blessed

Thanks for your message :) It wasn't abrasive at all. The reasons I asked were as follows:
1.) Mere curiosity. I work at a store where we sell all of the Greek merchandise and also do custom T-shirts and embroidery. I recognized many of the group names and was intrigued by the stance taken against them. I don't really have much of an opinion about the black glo's because I don't really know much about them, other than our customers. I know enough about the large predominately "white" sororities that I would not join one on my campus.
2.) Part of my point was to show the webmaster that not ALL greek-lettered organizations are from the pit of hell. If he found something questionable than that is fine. However, I expect that nothing will show up. :)

I found nothing wrong with SAI, but that does not mean it is innocent. If you are saved, I would trust that God would reveal to you any hidden darkness. Many people in other GLO's made and still make the same claims, EVEN TO THE POINT OF LYING, that their GLO's are innocent. Until I get their rituals of course. God Bless You! I actually liked the motto of SAI in doing all to the glory of God with music.

:) Thank you for your reply. If there are questionable things in the organization, I'm sure they will come to light the longer that I become a member. Our last Vice President of Ritual was a strong Christian. And about the motto: yes I love that too! SAI has encouraged alot of women to stay in music and to do it excellently, which for a Christian, is a means of serving God. Thanks for your time!