Return to Website

GLO's Exposed Discussion Forum

This is the forum area where you can discuss topics related to the Biblical exposure of Greek organizations. All posts are reviewed; if they are offensive they'll be deleted. 

Any copyrighted material contained herein is for: criticism, comments, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. All used in accordance with the Fair Use Exception 17 USC 107. 

GLO's Exposed Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
X-AKA's AWESOME Letter of Renunciation

G. Williams (New Jersey)

February 11, 2007

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.

Dear Ms. **** and other sorority members:

I am writing this letter to formally resign from and renounce my vows to Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. (AKA), and to officially denounce its principles and practices before God and man.

By way of this letter, I am officially requesting that all branches of the organization – local, regional and national – remove my name, likeness and contact information from all membership rosters, websites, e-mail and phone directories, databases and any other public or private membership record. Thank you for your cooperation.

As a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ, it is not my intention to demean, criticize, or condemn any person or any of the tremendously valuable programs that you, AKA and other Greek-letter organizations (GLOs) offer to the community and world. But I do mean to share my heartfelt and biblically based beliefs, concerning God’s will for me and Christians everywhere, as it relates to GLOs. I love you in the Lord because He commands that I do so. As a former “soror,” friend, and Sister in Christ to you (and to other members who also believe on the Lord Jesus), I love you as one of God’s created beings and because of the camaraderie we once shared through our affiliation with AKA.

THE BACKGROUND…

Many of you know that I “loved” the sorority and desired very strongly to be associated with the organization. My goal was to contribute my strengths, talents and abilities to this great network of sisters to improve the communities in which we live and work and the status of all mankind. I wholeheartedly agree with and support the fundamental reasons for the establishment of the organization: to elevate the status of women and serve all mankind. The work that you do certainly does just that and more. I was enthusiastic about offering my unique gifts to help you fulfill the organization’s mission and execute its “Program.” But about six months after my initiation on February 22, 2004, I began to notice that my zeal for the organization had waned significantly. My attendance at chapter meetings and other group functions had dropped and I had fallen out of fellowship with the women with whom I shared a very emotional and moving induction experience.

I tried desperately to fight what I was feeling inside: that something was wrong and I wasn’t supposed to be there with you. I thought, perhaps, I was simply overloaded, as my schedule has and probably always will be replete with many duties and responsibilities related to family, work, community involvement and ministry. Increasingly, I became frustrated at the thought of attending meetings. The idea of singing the national “hymn” irritated me and our brief moments of prayer to the “Great Spirit” bothered me even more.

The real beginning of the end of my association with the sorority came later in 2005 when I was driving on I-295, heading to work one morning, and this awful thought came to mind: “I wonder what people are thinking when they see the ‘Jesus’ emblem and the AKA tags on the back of my car.” Then I thought, “What in the world was that all about?!” The thought literally popped into my head without warning. I wasn’t thinking about anything, but what I had to do in the office that morning. Then poof! The thought was there. I couldn’t stop thinking about it all day. “Why would I care what people thought? I’m a Christian and I happen to be an AKA, too. What’s the big deal about that?” Slowly, I began to pull away from the organization even more. The New Year (2006) came around and I hadn’t paid my annual dues. Again, out of the blue, a thought came to mind: “Great! If I don’t pay my dues, then I can just be inactive and I won’t have to deal with the sorority anymore.” Again, I thought, “What in the world was that all about?!” I had no idea why the thought came to my head…why I was “looking” for a backdoor way out of the organization that I had once been so eager to join—an organization I had vowed to serve.

In late March 2006, God answered the questions that were running around in my head and made it very clear that He was pulling me away from my membership in the sorority. One day, He spoke to me just as I was walking from the kitchen to the living room of my small condo and said, “I never meant for you to join them. Come out from among them!” I asked Him why and He told me that the organization is not of God. I immediately made up my mind to separate from the organization because God had told me it was not of Him, even though I did not fully understand what He meant and had many reservations about leaving the sorority. When I finally made up my mind to trust and obey God, I felt an overwhelming peace in my spirit. At this point, it was only the Holy Spirit who was leading me away from AKA – no man, no woman, no specific teaching I had encountered…just the Spirit of the Lord God.

After a month of praying and seeking God for strength and the “right” words to say, I met with ****** in April 2006. She had been my sponsor for membership in the organization, so I felt obligated to explain why I had been so disengaged and tell her of my decision to leave the sorority. I love Lynn as my Sister in Christ and admire her as a person, so I wanted to be fair and honest with her first, then the rest of the AKAs. Though I was very firm in my meeting with Lynn, I still had many reservations about what God was telling me to do, so I continued to seek knowledge about it. Over the next few months, God sent me on a quest to learn more about what He was telling me…to fill in the blanks and eliminate any thoughts or feelings of doubt, unbelief, and fear. What He has shown me has made it painfully clear that I made a major mistake when I took an oath to AKA.

When I was initiated into the organization, I was convinced that it was the right thing to do because of all the wonderful things AKAs did in the community and in the world-at-large. Besides, many Christians I know and love from my church and elsewhere were already members of this sorority, other GLOs and other similar organizations, such as the Masons and the Order of the Eastern Star (OES), so I felt comfortable with the affiliation. In no way did I think that my involvement with AKA would interfere with the covenant I made with my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. But as I observed on too many occasions and have come to learn through the study of God’s word, the sorority and other similar groups do not glorify Jesus Christ in any way. Instead, they promote idol worship, ungodly fellowships, secrecy, exclusivity, and the deification of some organizational leaders, false gods, and even the organizations themselves. Since my enlightenment, I have repented my oath and have asked God to forgive me of this decision. The following segment of my letter will expound on a few of the biblical reasons for my rejection and reproof of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., and other similar organizations.

Re: X-AKA's AWESOME Letter of Renunciation

BIBLICAL PROOF OF THE UNGODLINESS OF AKA, OTHER GLOS & OTHER SIMILAR GROUPS

HAVING & WORSHIPING OTHER “GODS”OR IDOLS
 “1And God spake all these words, saying, 2I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 3Thou shalt have no other gods before me. 4Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 5Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; 6And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments (Ex. 20:1-6, King James Version {KJV})”
 “And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth. (Ex. 23:13, KJV)”
 “They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen. (Rom. 1:25, New International Version {NIV})”
 “And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. (2 Cor. 6:16, KJV)”
 "Cursed is the man who carves an image or casts an idol—a thing detestable to the LORD, the work of the craftsman's hands—and sets it up in secret." Then all the people shall say, "Amen!” (Deut. 27:15, NIV)”
God has always spoken very plainly to His people that they should not put anything or anyone in His place. He was so serious about this that He commanded them not to even speak the name of other gods. AKA and other GLOs are based on Greek mythology. Most have an affiliation with some Greek god or goddess, which symbolizes some aspect of the character of the organization.
The AKAs have the Greek god Atlas, who represents the organization’s strength and Themis, the Greek goddess of justice, who is mentioned in “The Ivy Beyond the Wall” ceremony. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., has Minerva, who represents their wisdom. Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., has the Sphinx and so on. For the believer, strength and wisdom should come from the Lord God only. Furthermore, the Bible tells us that it is not permitted for us to even speak of other gods, so why does AKA and these other sororities and fraternities have anything to do with these mythical deities? If these GLOs were really based on godly principles, then they would not associate themselves with Greek ideologies, which are completely antithetical to the teachings of God.
God reserves worship – a lifestyle or act of adoration, reverence, homage, and devotion – for Himself and He orders His people not to worship anything or anyone else. From initiation to the Ivy Beyond the Wall ceremony, AKA has put “AKA” in the place of God.

In the initiation process, candidates learned and recited AKA’s “National Pledge.” It reads as follows:
“To thee, oh Alpha Kappa Alpha, we pledge our heart, our minds, our strength. To foster thy teachings, obey thy laws, and make thee supreme in service to all mankind. Oh Alpha Kappa Alpha, we greet thee.”
It may not be clear to most people, but there are several obvious acts of worship and deification in this statement. First, AKA has been personified by the writer’s use of the words “thee” and “thy” to refer to the organization. So we have officially made AKA “a person” to “whom” we then vow to worship with our hearts, minds and strength. How can a Christian make this pledge to AKA and still be true to God Almighty, who requires that true believers “love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul (mind), and all your strength. (Deut. 6:5, New Living Translation {NLT}, parenthetical statement added for emphasis; also found in Mark 12:30 and Luke 10:27)?”
If the Christian’s heart, mind/soul and strength are already completely yielded to God, then how is it possible for him or her to pledge them to another person, AKA or any other entity, for that matter? Well, it most certainly is possible to do, if he or she has put AKA, or someone or something else in the place of God…if he or she has put “other gods before (Him),” which is exactly what He commanded us not to do in Exodus 20:3.
Furthermore, the pledge indicates that those who take this vow will follow the organization’s doctrines, obey its laws (i.e., rules, bylaws, customs, principles, standard operating procedures, commandments, etc.), and establish AKA’s service to the world as “supreme” -- highest in rank or authority; paramount; sovereign; chief; of the highest quality, degree, character, or importance; greatest, utmost, or extreme; last or final; ultimate.

For starters, Christians should never make a pledge to unscriptural oaths, which are sealed by using the name of God improperly or in vain (Ex. 20:7; Lev. 5:4-6; Matt. 5:34-37; James 5:12). Besides, the only doctrines and laws a Christian should be following are those set forth in God’s Holy Word, the Bible (mentioned in several sections from Deut. 26-30; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; et al.). The biggest offense, however, comes in
making AKA “supreme,” again, deifying the organization and even making it above God.

The word “supreme” is a superlative, which means it is unmatched, without equal, the highest in rank or authority, as is stated in the above-mentioned definition. The sorority and other GLOs refer to their presidents as “basilei” – the plural form of “basileus.” The word “basileus” is of Ancient Greek origin and it signifies “sovereignty” -- “greatest in degree, utmost or extreme; being above all others in character, importance and excellence; having supreme rank, power or authority.” In AKA, the highest-ranking official in the organization (the International President) is known as the “Supreme Basileus,” meaning she is the highest of the high – the utmost or “the most high.”

If AKA is “supreme” in its acts of service toward mankind and the presidents are similarly likened unto gods, where does that leave THE Sovereign God? How can two things hold the rank of “the highest?” As I noted, a superlative is singular and unmatched by definition. Either God is “the highest” (“the Most High”) or He isn’t. Clearly, He is and that means that AKA is not. So to call AKA, its acts or anyone associated with the organization “supreme” is an outright sacrilege.

Also of great concern are the lyrics of the sorority’s ritualistic songs. In the national song, AKA is personified and members “pledge (their) faith” to work and serve “to Thy honor and glory.” Incidentally, most AKAs and members of other GLOs often cite their acts of service as a defense against accusations that say their works are self-serving, not God-serving.

This song says that the organization strives to do “things that are worthwhile,” win “greater laurels” and to begin “greater tasks” to bring honor and glory to itself. Another song – the “initiation hymn” – proclaims “we’ll always reverence AKA forever and a day.” To reverence something means to worship it. And the phrase “forever and a day” denotes “eternity.” So singers of this hymn are, again, deifying AKA and promising to worship it for all eternity. The last time I checked, the only one to be worshipped forever and ever is the Lord God Almighty (Jer. 32:39; Rev. 4:10, 5:14; et al.).

Incidentally, a “hymn” is a song of praise and worship to God or a deity. So just who or what is being worshipped and praised in the “initiation hymn” or the other “hymns” of AKA and other GLOs?

Equally disturbing is the number of symbols – idols – that AKA and other GLOs have created to represent their organizations: the shield, ivy leaf, pearls, frogs, various hand gestures, calls and other greetings, etc. GLO members venerate these items and practices in almost the same way that Christians respect the Cross of Calvary.
At this point, I am quite sure that those members who are Christians are thinking, “Well, I am a Christian and I don’t put anyone or anything before God. He is first in my life.” You are most likely thinking that you don’t worship your GLO. It’s just one aspect of your life. You don’t gaze upon your badges, crest, or other symbols with adoration, deep respect, and love every time you put them on or bring them out of their special places. You don’t have pictures of AKAs or people branded with other GLO insignias dressed in Greek garb and other fine clothing, surrounding some symbol of your organization that just happens to be enthroned or otherwise exalted. No, of course not.
We need to see the Truth and recognize that by virtue of making these vows and living and acting in ways that exalt AKA and other similar groups, we put them first in our lives. It is worship, plain and simple. But God stands ready to forgive and restore you, when you acknowledge that you have made a social and community service club “god” in your life by virtue of your oath and, in many cases, your deeds. Repent!

BEING UNEQUALLY YOKED WITH UNBELIEVERS

 “14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. 18And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty. (2 Cor. 6:14-18, KJV)”
 “Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful (Ps. 1:1, KJV)”

Upon taking an oath to AKA, every member comes “under the shield,” or so I have heard many AKAs say. This means that you put your “sorors” first. When an AKA is in need, you move quickly to her aid and use every resource available to you to help her because she is “under the shield.” You have both taken a vow not only to esteem the organization in “the highest,” but also to put each other first.

Indeed, it is both biblical and exceedingly noble to put others’ needs ahead of your own, so that in doing so you may demonstrate Christ’s love on earth and bring glory and honor to the Father (Lev. 19:18; Matt. 7:12; Luke 6:31; Rom. 15:1-3; Phil. 2:2-4; et al.). But the Word of God is clear that believers should not be in fellowship with unbelievers, especially not in covenant relationship, which is what occurs when you “vow” to do anything. Swearing an allegiance to be in covenant with and to serve AKA and other similar groups – regardless of their beliefs – is in direct violation of God’s command not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers.

For example, the website for the OES reads as follows: “Members of all religions may belong to the Order of the Eastern Star. We only require a belief in a Supreme Being.” By making this statement, the OES is welcoming any and all spiritual influences, beliefs and customs into its membership. Believing in “a Supreme Being” is not the same thing as believing in “the” one Sovereign God, who is the only “Supreme Being.”

By virtue of making a vow to unite with the OES – or other similar groups, like AKA, that also make ambiguous references to some high power or do not require members to be in relationship with Christ at all – individuals commit themselves to a lifelong bond with the organization and its members. So whether the members are saved and worship Christ or unsaved and worship anything and everything else – from Buddha, Allah, and the false god created by the Jehovah’s Witnesses, to the goddess, stars, cows and even Satan himself – a member becomes cemented to them for life.

This is not at all something that Jesus did or would ever do. Yes, Jesus freely spoke to and interacted with unbelievers. How can light transform the darkness, if the two never meet? How can you witness to people, if you never speak to them? How can you show love, if you can’t even though someone? We can associate with unbelievers – those in our families, circle of friends, workplace, church, etc. Indeed, the Lord has commissioned us to do just that (Mark 16:15). But we are not to bind ourselves to them (to unbelievers), as in the case of marriage or pledging a fraternity, sorority or other similar group that openly invites sinners to join.

VARIOUS OTHER ISSUES: SECRECY, ELITISM & OTHER WORLDLINESS
 “The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life. (Rev. 22:17, NIV)”
 “6 So Aaron stretched out his hand over the waters of Egypt, and the frogs came up and covered the land. 7 But the magicians did the same things by their secret arts; they also made frogs come up on the land of Egypt. 8 Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron and said, "Pray to the LORD to take the frogs away from me and my people, and I will let your people go to offer sacrifices to the LORD. (Ex. 8:6-8, NIV)”
 “19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. (Gal. 5:19-21, KJV)”
 “20 But when his heart became arrogant and hardened with pride, he was deposed from his royal throne and stripped of his glory. (Daniel 5:20, NIV)”

 “4 “Look at the proud! They trust in themselves, and their lives are crooked. But the righteous will live by their faithfulness to God. (Hab. 2:4, NLT)”
 “12 The night is almost gone; the day of salvation will soon be here. So remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes, and put on the shining armor of right living. 13 Because we belong to the day, we must live decent lives for all to see. Don’t participate in the darkness of wild parties and drunkenness, or in sexual promiscuity and immoral living, or in quarreling and jealousy. 14 Instead, clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. And don’t let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires. (Rom. 13:12-14, NLT)”
 “1You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. 2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. 4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. 5 They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that! (2 Tim. 3:1-5, NLT)”
Secrecy:
I thank God that He has made me a woman of intelligence – both innately and through education and experience. But when I think back on the oath I made to serve AKA, I am truly amazed at how foolish I was at that moment. How could I have pledged my heart, mind and strength to serve an organization whose complete history and truths I only learned after I became an official member? AKA, other GLOs and other similar organizations (like the Masons and OES), operate, for the most part, in total secrecy. The bulk of your knowledge of the organization, its history, principles, rituals, rules and guidelines are not disclosed until a candidate becomes a full-fledged member.
The nature of these secret societies is completely at odds with Christian beliefs. The Bible is an open book that invites all who will to come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ (Rev. 22:17). Anyone inquiring about membership in the family of God can investigate, ask questions, read the inspired handbook (the Bible), and make a decision for Christ fully knowing what the cost and consequences of the action will be.
What kind of fellowship is it that would prevent you from sharing all that you do in it with your Brothers and Sisters in Christ? What type of organization would keep hidden membership intake processes and vitally important information about itself? If certain parts of a believer’s life are hidden from the rest of the Body of Christ, how can the people of God rejoice with and mourn for them as God has commanded us to do in response to situations in each others’ lives (Rom. 12:15)? How can the people of God pray for and stand in agreement with one another, if believers have hidden some areas of their lives…if they cloak certain parts in darkness? A godly organization would do no such thing. Its very core would be exposed for all to see and judge against God’s standard for His people, just as the Lord wants for all of His children (Ps. 119:130; 2 Tim. 2:15, 3:15-17).
The Bible says in Romans 12:17 (NIV) that Christians should "be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.” How can covert meetings and rituals--held behind guarded and locked doors--be doing what is right in the eyes of everybody? The answer is simple: they are not.

Elitism:

It is no secret that affiliation in GLOs carries a certain level of distinction and prestige, particularly within the African-American community. I have heard many “Greeks” proclaim the preeminence of their own GLO, while disparaging other groups as “lesser than,” “second-rate,” and so on. There is a pervasive air of snobbery…a “we are better than they are” mentality that cannot be denied.

Membership in GLOs and other “secret societies” is “by invitation only”—and invitations are only extended to select groups of individuals. This is intentionally done to exclude candidates deemed undesirable by the organizations’ members. How does such exclusivity glorify God? God sent His Son to die for the sings of the entire world – each and every one of us – so that everyone could become a member of the Holy family, not just some of us (John 3:16; Rom. 5: .

Did god say that only certain people are eligible for membership in His Kingdom? NO, He most certainly did not! Membership in God’s Kingdom is extended to any and everyone who will accept His Son: He said, “’Come!’ And let him who hears say, ‘Come!’ Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life (Rev. 22:17, KJV).” Repentance of sin and acceptance of Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord are the only requirements for admission into the greatest “fraternity” of them all – the Brotherhood of Believers.

Worldly Activities & Behaviors:

I could write volumes about the immoral activities that have been associated with AKA and other GLOs for decades: wild parties, drinking, bickering, sexual immorality, hazing (including murder), backbiting, fighting, gossiping, tattooing and body branding, and a host of other activities and behaviors that all contradict the standards of high moral character God spells out for His people in His Holy Word, the Bible. I am not saying that the organizations themselves espouse any particular objectionable, harmful, corrupt, or illegal behaviors. Truly, sin and sinful people exist within every organization of human endeavor, including the Church.

There is, however, a distinct difference that must be seen between the Church and GLOs. The Church and/or individual believers are judged by the absolute moral rules of the Holy Bible and, ultimately, by Christ. Though the GLOs’ standards are relatively moral, they have no true basis for judging many forms of immoral or unethical behavior. The Church, however, has biblical protocol in place to deal with sinful members.

The mere fact that sinners are allowed to join GLOs opens the doorway to many problems, if an organization does not have specific moral guidelines to follow. But GLOs and their members have come under intense scrutiny for behaviors that range from merely questionable to outright unlawful. These “darker” acts of the organizations cast a shadow over the “good works” that are done by these groups in the community. The prevalence of such activities by GLO members has been so widely reported—particularly among collegiate “Greeks”—that, at some point, you have to wonder how much of the perception is reality. Again, my aim is not to condemn anyone, only practices that are not of God.

IN CONCLUSION…

This letter provides only a snapshot of my reasons for severing ties with AKA. It is my sincere hope that the words I have written, through the leading of the Holy Spirit, will prick the consciences of all who read or hear them. For those members who believe they are saved, I pray that the Holy Spirit will convict you through my testimony and the written Word of God and cause you to rethink and, ultimately, renounce your vows to your GLO or other similar organizations.

I believe that if you really pray and seek God about this matter, He will reveal His Truths to you and help you to do what is right. He also will forgive you for making unholy vows and commitments to the organization and those who are not in fellowship with the Lord Jesus. For those who are unsaved, my prayer for you is simply that you humble yourselves, recognize that you are sinners and therefore condemned to Hell. I pray that this knowledge disturb your conscience and cause you to cry out for Jesus Christ -- who is the only one who can save us from eternal separation from God – REPENT OF YOUR SINS, and accept Him as Savior and Lord, before it’s too late (“And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment. (Heb. 9:27, KJV).”

Please be informed that I am copying the heads of all ministries with which I am associated, so that they will be aware of this very important decision I have made. For me, this is a significant spiritual transition and I want to make sure that people under whom I sit are fully aware of my decision and reasons for separating myself from the sorority and publicly denouncing such organizations.

TO MY MINISTRY LEADERS: If my statements have offended any of you or caused you to rethink having me as part of your ministry, then I sincerely hope that you take your concerns to the Lord and do whatever He tells you to do. As His servant, I will obediently honor whatever you choose to do – whether you ask me to leave or stay. I would only ask that you share this letter with other members of the ministry, so that they, too, will know exactly why I have made this decision. I have nothing to hide

As I stated at the outset of this letter, it is not my intention to condemn any person, only to speak the Truth about AKA and other similar organizations. I love and appreciate the women and men that I have encountered in AKA and other similar groups, such as “the Omegas,” “the Alphas,” “the Deltas,” “the Zetas,” “the Sigmas,” “the Masons,” “the Eastern Stars,” etc. Many of these people are fellow Christians and church members whom I consider to be my friends. But the bottom line resides in the fact that I, personally, cannot serve both God AND Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. The two compete for lordship in my life and in the lives of any other true believer (Matt. 6:24; Luke 16:13). If you take the time to pray and search God’s word about what I have written here, you will see this for yourself as well.

“Know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God (James 4:4, KJV).”

I pray that God richly blesses you for taking the time to read through this entire letter. I know that most of what you read or heard has probably raised your ire to a level to which it has never before been raised. I completely understood that this would probably be the case, but decided to share the Truth with you anyway. You may despise me now for being so forward. You may even call it “self-righteousness” and question what right I have to say such things. And some may even seek to retaliate against me for speaking against their “beloved” sorority, fraternity or other organization. But I can only say that what I have written here is supported by Scripture. The Holy Spirit of the one, true and living God has led me to speak the Truth boldly—and sometimes, the Truth hurts. I truly desire only to share the Truth with you that you would BE FREE and know Christ on a deeper level.

Don’t be fooled into thinking that your great deeds or walk with the Lord – especially those of you who are in ministry – will prevent God from judging you in this matter. I know that you may not believe or accept what I have written here. But IF you are a child of God, then I know (and you know) that you are now obligated to go to Him on this matter and seek the Truth for yourself. If after you seek God – through prayer, fasting and His word, the Holy Bible – you are able to honestly say that you still believe exactly as you do about your involvement in AKA or other similar organizations, then I would truly love to hear your thoughts and would welcome an explanation of them through God’s word. But if you feel even the slightest concern – even if it’s just frustration with me and what I have written here – then please do not remain in darkness! Go to God and ask Him for yourself, “Should I remain in this organization? Does this honor You, Lord Jesus?” He will answer you.

My sincere prayer is that you COME OUT FROM AMONG THEM!!!

“My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children. (Hosea 4:6, KJV)”

In His Service,

G. Williams

Cc:
 Corresponding Secretary
 International President
 International Membership Committee Chair
 Pastor and Board of Deacons
 Minister of Music
 Evangelist ********, Coordinator, singles’ ministry
 Minister Gail Gray – www.gailgray.com
 Bridgette Thomas – www.divinetruthishere.com
 Minister Fred Hatchett – www.dontgogreek.com