Return to Website

GLO's Exposed Discussion Forum

This is the forum area where you can discuss topics related to the Biblical exposure of Greek organizations. All posts are reviewed; if they are offensive they'll be deleted. 

Any copyrighted material contained herein is for: criticism, comments, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. All used in accordance with the Fair Use Exception 17 USC 107. 

GLO's Exposed Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Other Ministries Stepping Up and Exposing

Black Greek Letter Organizations (BGLOs)*

Many young people who are in college, or college bound, know about the exciting social aspects of campus life. But as Christians, we must compare spiritual things with spiritual things. Not all activities are accepted by God. Black Greek Letter Organizations (or any secret/exclusive group) are some of those activities. There are some that have tried to answer the question, can you remain a Christian and pledge a greek sorority or fraternity? Many think that you can. Most of these opinions come from greeks who are professing Christians. However, if we examine the characteristics of what make these organizations different from the Math club or the Beta Club, we find that these organizations are clearly NOT CHRISTIAN ORGANIZATIONS. Furthermore, we will also see why it would be extremely detrimental for a Christian to join such an organization. Christians should not have any dealings with these groups. How can light have fellowship with darkness? (2nd Corinthians 6:14)

It is commonly known that many BGLOs allude to ancient Egyptian/African symbols and imagery such as the pyramids, the sphinx, the “burning sands” and etc. These symbols are used to glorify African heritage and celebrate the wisdom and accomplishments of ancient Egypt.

These symbols and images are taken from ancient Egyptian religions. For example, the use of pyramids included temples, religious schools, and shrines for the dead. The architecture of the pyramids is derived from worship of the pagan sun god, Hor. The sphinx is a mutant half human-half animal image of either a pagan god or a god-king.

When God delivered his chosen people from 400 years of captivity and bondage, it was from Egypt (or Kemet as some prefer to call it). Pharaoh and Egypt were cursed by God because he (pharaoh) would not allow the Israelites to worship God freely. There was a clear distinction between worshipping the God of Israel versus the idol gods of Egypt.

When God became angry with the children of Israel in the wilderness, it was because they made a golden calf and worshipped it instead of God. They learned these idolatrous practices from the Egyptians. (Exodus 32:1-14, Deuteronomy 9:7-19) Egyptian wisdom and imagery cannot be separated from these practices. In fact, religion was not separated from any part of their life including government. James 3:11-17 shows us there are at least two kinds of wisdom. One kind is wisdom that does not come from above, but is earthly, sensual (soulish), and demonic. Then there is the wisdom that comes from God that is first pure, then peaceable, easy to intreat, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. If He specifically told his people to turn away from the ways of Egypt and her idols, why would he have pleasure in his children turning back to the images and idols of Egypt today.

So what does this mean? Let me offer this. Before I was saved I was extremely proud of my black heritage. I have a B.A. in African-American history from an historically black college. I only read black authors. I was on my way to being a staunch black nationalist. I pretty much believed that Jesus was indeed a black man (which does not even matter because we are to know no man after the flesh, not even Jesus, because he is spiritual as are those born into Him. (2nd Corinthians 5:15-17)
In Christ there is neither Jew nor Greek....(Colossians 3:11)
Once I began seeking a relationship with Christ, I realized that my proud African ancestry was full of people who did not worship the true and living God, but worshipped false gods. The Bible describes this as idolatry. We must believe the Word of God over our education, our upbringing, and even our own opinions. Once in Christ, old things are passed away, all things are new. (2nd Corinthians 5:17) These ancient people, including the Egyptians, were idolators. God cursed them, plagued them, and even killed them for their rebellion. No Christian should take joy or pride in such a nation of people.

* Note to the reader: Although only BGLOs are dealt with here, other greek organizations and secret societies share a common history. If you are considering one of these organizations, or are currently a member, ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the root of these groups to you through his Word. All secret knowledge and wisdom gained outside of God leads back to ancient idol religions. Remember, forbidden knowledge caused the fall of man (Genesis 3: 1-4).

Also, For more study on God’s attitude towards ancient Egypt, read Leviticus 18:3-4; Numbers 14-15; Jeremiah 42-43; Acts 7; Hebrews 8:9 and 11: 24-29; and Revelations 11:8.*

If you have questions, have a prayer request, or would like to share your testimony please contact Niomi Henry at niomi@verityministries.org.

If you feel the Word of God bears witness to what you have read and the Holy Ghost has confirmed it in your heart, you may also want to visit the following site for biblical teaching on other topics relevant to today's Church.
www.omegaministry.org