Return to Website

Seniors For Avril Forum

All Avril fans are welcome to use this resource
There is no signing in required
and you don't have to be a member
The forum is moderated by the Administrator

Unfortunately, due to heavy SPAM, we have been obliged to LOCK this forum.
If you wish to post a message, send email to borgengroft@hotmail.com and we will post it for you.

Forum: General Forum
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
AVRIL: Announcing New Rockstar Clubs

Announcing New Rockstar Clubs

Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year! I had so much fun working with all of you last year to raise awareness and funds for the Avril Lavigne Foundation. Together we have made tons of kids feel like Rockstars. It really feels like we are a team, and I'm excited for the upcoming year!

Today we are proud to announce that we are expanding the Avril Lavigne Rockstar Club to ten more U.S. and Canadian cities. Thanks to your support, the Avril Lavigne Foundation has chosen ten totally unique and fun recreation programs that really represent our R.O.C.K.S. mission: to provide Respect, Opportunities, Choices, Knowledge and Strength in support of children and youth living with serious illnesses or disabilities.

A little bit about each of the ten clubs is listed below, look out for more fun updates about them this year on the Avril Lavigne Foundation website, Facebook and twitter. To learn more, check out our press release . I'm really looking forward to seeing the kids love these great programs and hope you are too!

Xo,
Avril

Southern California: Scholarships for Camp Oakes and a music program/talent show which will be named "The Avril Lavigne Rockstar Talent Show."

Greater Houston in Texas: Scholarships for summer campers and a program that will bring local musicians and artists to camp to teach lessons.

South Florida: Rockstar chefs-in-training camp to teach kids both with and without disabilities cooking skills, culminating in a cook-off challenge.

Goodwill Northern Rocky Mountain (Montana) : Social skills classes for kids with disabilities, parent education classes for parents of infants with disabilities, a horse-therapy program, and sibling workshops.

DuPage & the Fox Valley Region (Illinois): Dance therapy program for children with physical disabilities.

Hawaii: The only program for kids with disabilities on the island of Oahu, will support youth groups for girls and boys, as well as weekend day camps for families of kids with disabilities.

Nevada: Recreation program for teens and young adults with disabilities will include field trips and events in the local area including bowling, karate and music lessons and sports.

Washington: Multi-sensory learning center at Camp Stand By Me to provide a space for kids to learn and experience different senses.

Mahoning, Trumbull, and Columbiana Counties (Ohio): Continue to support program that recruits teens without disabilities from local high schools to join the Rockstar Club and participate in activities and field trips with kids with disabilities.

Alberta, Canada: Adaptive bikes program with bikes that can be modified to be ridden by kids with disabilities at Camp Horizons.

Cooment from SFA Web Admin:

Wow! Avril is a real Angel of Mercy

I don't own a credit card, but I sent a cheque to the foundation, a few months ago,
in Canadian funds. It took a while, but they cashed the cheque, and sent me a nice
thank you letter. So, if anyone wishes to donate by mail:

The Avril Lavigne Foundation
c/o Global Philanthropy Group
PO Box 252176
Los Angeles, CA 90025 USA

PS: I felt really proud to receive that envelope in the mail, with the
purple, black & white Logo of the Avril Lavigne Foundation, on the left
hand corner!

UPDATE: Avril Lavigne Foundation Awards Easter Seals Hawaii $10,000

Avril Lavigne Foundation Awards Easter Seals Hawaii $10,000

Monday, February 11th, 2013

REPORT FROM EASTER SEALS HAWAII – Easter Seals Hawaii has been chosen by The Avril Lavigne Foundation to host a Rockstar Club for its teens in the Youth Services program in Honolulu. The Rockstar Club is a recreational program for kids and youth with disabilities and special needs that allows them to just be kids, explore their talents, make friends and have fun.

“Our youth programs and services do not receive any funding from state or federal agencies, so a grant such as this is vital because it enables us to make a difference in the lives of people during those critical ages when kids are growing and learning,” said President and CEO Christopher E. Blanchard. “Some of the social, educational and recreational activities our youth will experience include ice skating, dancing, camp outs, movie night, karaoke and more.”

A total of 10 markets in the U.S. and Canada were chosen by the Avril Lavigne Foundation. All North American Easter Seals affiliates were invited to apply for an Avril Lavigne Rockstar Club at Easter Seals grant. Following a review of the applicants, award-winning singer/songwriter and philanthropist Avril Lavigne selected ten Easter Seals grant recipients located in Los Angeles, California; Houston, Texas; Great Falls, Montana; Chicago, Illinois; Honolulu, Hawaii; Las Vegas, Nevada; Seattle, Washington; Youngstown, Ohio; Miami, Florida; and Alberta, Canada. Hawaii received $10,000.

The selection was based on their overall impact and embodiment of the Avril Lavigne Foundation’s R.O.C.K.S. mission: to provide Respect, Opportunity, Choices, Knowledge, and Strength to children and youth living with serious illnesses or disabilities.

“It was really tough to pick the final ten,” said Lavigne. “I was so inspired by the creativity of everyone who applied and the exciting range of opportunities the Easter Seals affiliates presented. I have seen first-hand from my work with Easter Seals how important recreation programs are for kids with disabilities. My goal is to help bring more resources to these great programs which are often the first to experience budget cuts.”

Winning programs include overnight camp scholarships, a cooking/ life skills camp; social skills classes, an equestrian camp and a sibling support group; dance therapy classes; youth services programs including community outings and field trips for teens, a multi-sensory learning camp, a program to connect teens with disabilities with other kids in their community, and an adaptive bikes program. To learn more, please visit The Avril Lavigne Foundation website: www.theavrillavignefoundation.org.

“We’re so lucky to have such an incredible partner in Avril and The Avril Lavigne Foundation. She cares deeply about making sure kids and young people with disabilities have every opportunity to live life to the fullest, pursue their dreams, and find happiness. She’s also passionate about sharing a message of inclusion, that kids and young people with disabilities want to laugh, have fun with their friends, and just fit in – like all of us,” says James E. Williams, Jr., President and Chief Executive Officer, Easter Seals. “We also know when it comes to Easter Seals, Avril was most inspired by our recreational programming – services where kids and teens with disabilities can just be kids through social events, music, theater, sports, arts, leisure time, hobbies, getting out in the community and camp. That’s what The Avril Lavigne Rockstar Club at Easter Seals is all about.”

Easter Seals Hawaii

About Easter Seals Hawaii - Established in 1946, Easter Seals Hawaii is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization offering 24 service programs on the islands of Oahu, Kauai, Maui, Lanai, and the Big Island. Over Easter Seals Hawaii’s 67 year history they have served and made a profound difference in the lives of individuals with disabilities and special needs, and provided resources and support to their families.

Easter Seals Hawaii is the state’s largest provider of Early Intervention services for infants and toddlers, and one of the state’s largest providers of Medicaid Waiver services for adults with developmental disabilities. Easter Seals Hawaii’s Home & Community-Based Services is accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), assurance that an organization meets internationally accepted standards.

Camp Horizon gets new bikes thanks to Lavigne’s foundation

Camp Horizon gets new bikes thanks to Lavigne’s foundation

By: Kathryn McMackin

Looks like campers at Bragg Creek’s Easter Seals Camp Horizon will be getting a couple new sets of wheels.

At the end of January, Canadian musician Avril Lavigne announced support for 10 Easter Seals programs, including Camp Horizon. Anna Garcia, the camp’s director of operations, said the funding will be put towards modified bicycles.

“One of our main goals is to make sure the activities in our beautiful mountain setting can be enjoyed by everybody, regardless of their abilities,” said Garcia. “We want to create those quintessential summer moments — riding a bike, sleeping under the stars — for our campers.

“Experiences like this are so vital for letting a kid be a kid.”

The bikes Garcia has her eye on have a wider wheelbase and can be adapted in a variety of ways, like with adult-sized training wheels or a backrest. She said these bikes cost about $3,000 each and will be investing in three of them with the $10,000 grant.

Camp Horizon is the only Canadian Easter Seals affiliate to receive the grant. The other nine lucky programs include an equestrian camp, a multi-sensory learning camp and dance therapy classes.

“We’re really excited and proud to be chosen,” said Garcia. “I’m hoping this is something we can build and grow…. We want to show Avril the difference this (funding) will make.”

The support comes from the Avril Lavigne Rockstar Club at Easter Seals, part of the rocker’s foundation. The initiative was created with the intention of supporting recreational programs for children and youth with disabilities, along with their families.

“I have seen first-hand from my work with Easter Seals how important recreation programs are for kids with disabilities,” commented Lavigne in a press release. “My goal is to help bring more resources to these great programs which are often the first to experience budget cuts.”

Easter Seals Camp Horizon was invited to apply for the Avril Lavigne Rockstar Club grant, along with other North American Easter Seals programs. As for what gave the Bragg Creek camp an edge, Garcia said she could only speculate.

“I think our application struck a chord with Avril,” said Garcia. “From what I know about her, she never felt she fit in growing up. Neither do our campers. Our program gives campers a moment of not feeling different — they are just a kid riding a bike.”

Garcia said she’s hoping to have the bikes ready for the beginning of Camp Horizon’s summer season.

Throughout the year, Garcia said the camp hosts about 1,200 individuals that take part in the multitude of programs, which includes specialized retreats and sleepover events.

For any additional information on Easter Seals Camp Horizon, visit easterseals.ab.ca/CampSite/EasterSealsCampHorizon.aspx.

The Avril Lavigne Foundation - CAMP S.T.A.R.S.

The Avril Lavigne Foundation - CAMP S.T.A.R.S.

From Avril's blog on The Avril Lavigne Foundation website

Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Hi Everyone,

It's been so amazing with the new album coming out soon, I wanted to take a minute to give you an update on the Avril Lavigne Foundation. Last summer I had an awesome time visiting Easter Seals Camp Oakes in Big Bear, meeting with the campers, the volunteer staff and learning about their camp experiences.

One of the things I learned while I was there was that while everyone loved summer camp, some campers were not always able to attend or return to camp because of the cost. Since then, the Avril Lavigne Foundation has been working with Easter Seals to identify how we can help!

That's why I am so proud today to announce the CAMP S.T.A.R.S. program, which stands for Summer Time Avril Rock Stars. Thanks to your support, we are going to help send 50 kids with disabilities to camp this summer who otherwise might not be able to afford it! Our CAMP S.T.A.R.S. will head to camp at 5 sites across the U.S. and Canada. You can learn more about this program here.

To celebrate this announcement, we've also created a special video for you from my visit to Camp Oakes last year- watch and share if you're as excited as I am about the CAMP S.T.A.R.S. program!

Xo,
Avril

Foundation funds Easter Seals Rockstar Club for special needs kids

Foundation funds Easter Seals Rockstar Club for special needs kids

Instructor Doug Bond jams with Easter Seals clients during a Rockstar Club session at the School of Rock, 9340 W. Flamingo Road, June 28. Easter Seals is offering the monthly program free for children 10 to 18 with special needs thanks to a $10,000 grant from The Avril Lavigne Foundation.

======================

By JAN HOGAN
VIEW STAFF WRITER

Thanks to a big star, there are some new rock-and-rollers in Las Vegas. The Avril Lavigne Rockstar Club at Easter Seals is for clients ages 10 to 18. All of the children have special needs.

The monthly program began in March. Each session features music from a different rock band, such as The Beatles, AC/DC, The Killers and Kiss, and performers such as Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson.

About 12 youngsters attend each session. The program was made possible by a $10,000 grant from The Avril Lavigne Foundation to fund the club for one year.

Pamela Lang, vice president of development for Easter Seals Nevada, said the 10-to-18 age group was a population in need of more programming.

“It’s a chance to provide a fun opportunity and really make these kids’ dreams come true,” she said. “It allows them to spread their wings and be creative. It gets them out of their comfort zone.”

The hands-on music program takes place at School of Rock, 9340 W. Flamingo Road, a 4,000-square-foot facility. This day, the Rockstar Club included Joey Femenella, 12; Joseph Fogg, 12; Jamie Butler, 15; Aaron Limbaugh, 13; Molly Limbaugh, 9; Laney Brimhall, 13; Joseph Giannotta, 14; Selena Sydnor, 9; and Michael Sydnor, 10.

Sara Limbaugh’s son, Aaron, was there for his second time.

“He’s always been interested in guitar. It started when he was 3,” she said. “He’s always been addicted to The Wiggles. We bought him a keyboard, and he started teaching himself by humming the notes when he was about 5. He’s always just loved music.”

Aaron said his favorite part of being at Rockstar Club was the singing.

“That’ll change next hour,” Sara said.

When Selena arrived, she rushed up to Lang and gave her a big hug.

“Me and her are best friends,” she said.

Although The Who was slated to be featured this day, Queen’s “We Will Rock You” blasted from the speakers. The children began singing along with Freddie Mercury.

Instructor Doug Bond handed each child a pair of drumsticks. On their knees, they alternated tapping the sticks together, then rapping them on the floor. The pattern was three beats, pause, three beats, pause.

Different combinations were tried in a kind of Simon Says fashion. In the end, speed proved to be king, and the rhythms got faster and faster until the room was filled with a cacophony of drumming and laughter.

Aaron appeared eager to get to pounding on drums and gravitated that direction until he was redirected.

Joey, who doesn’t speak, stayed in the back of the room. He was not participating, but he was wearing a huge smile and running his fingers over a silent electric keyboard.

A hit song from The Who came out of the speakers, and the children rapped the sticks in time. Bond congratulated them on knowing the song and its distinctive beginning.

“Good, you caught the fill,” he said. “I know you guys are just dying to get to those drums, huh?”

The children hurried to claim their drums, some doubling up. Aaron claimed a full set and donned earphones to hear the music directly.

As “Teenage Wasteland” filled the room, the children mumbled the lyrics: “Out here in the fields/I fight for my meals ...”

“Here comes the drum roll,” Bond warned them.

“Is that an innuendo?” Aaron asked over the music.

Percussion and drums dominated Rockstar training this day. Bond handed out percussion shakers, sand-filled eggs, one for each hand. The drum sticks were forgotten, and the volume level immediately diminished. The children were given new patterns to try — right, right, right, left, left.

“Which is cooler, eggs or sticks?” Bond called out and received mixed reviews. “I know, how about we do one of each?”

One of the girls picked up a bass guitar and discovered she had the beginnings of a song.

“That’s got Gene Simmons written all over it,” Bond said, referring to a member of the band Kiss.

He next led them in a kind of red light, green light drumming exercise as a couple of kids took turns on the guitar.

The children spent a full hour being rockstars.

Continued Below:

Continued: Foundation funds Easter Seals Rockstar Club for special needs kids

Continued from above:

Lang said Easter Seals will reapply for the grant after a year, if it is available again.

School of Rock has been open about two years. General manager Cammy Davis said she partnered before with Easter Seals for its Walk With Me fundraiser events. She watched as the excited children left with their parents and guardians.

“It’s worth it to give to the kids and give back to the community,” Davis said. “Hands down, totally worth it.”

Classes are scheduled from 4 to 5 p.m. the last Friday of the month. The July 26 class is set to feature music from The Rolling Stones. There is no cost for attendees. Adult supervision is required, and there is a lounge where parents can observe the class.

To register, contact Joleen Arnold at 702-677-3585.

Contact Summerlin/Summerlin South View reporter Jan Hogan at jhogan@viewnews.com or 702-387-2949.

Avril Lavigne asks fans to design new T-shirt needs kids

Avril Lavigne asks fans to design new T-shirt

TORONTO — Canadian singer Avril Lavigne wants her fans to come up with a new T-shirt for her eponymous charitable foundation.

The Ontario-born pop star will hand-pick the winning design within two weeks following the Aug. 15 deadline for submissions.

The foundation’s mission is dubbed “R.O.C.K.S.” — Respect, Opportunity, Choices, Knowledge and Strength — and supports children and youth living with serious illnesses or disabilities. It was founded by the singer in 2010.

The winner of the T-shirt design contest will receive a personalized autograph from Lavigne as well as a collection of her merchandise.

Full details on how to enter can be found at the foundation’s website.

Excerpted From: http://globalnews.ca

Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com