General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
too

Hi,

My son wrote
Thank you, too, for driving us around to activities at camp.

Maybe he should have said 'Thank you, also,' but we have put the commas in the right place, haven't we?

thanks.

Re: too

Gen,

Looking at your answer to the acupuncture question, I can tell you know your grammar. This is a great question. You see commas around 'too' all the time, but there is no real justification for it.

The word 'too' is an adverb in this sentence. It modifies the verb to thank. I can think of no other adverb that would attract commas (including also). I do not see the need for the commas at all.

You wouldn't write:

Thank you, hugely, for driving...

It's odd though. You see them around 'too' all the time. I might start bit of a campaign to remove all commas from the word 'too'. If you can live with not substituting the word 'too' for 'also',you could kick it off by writing your sentence:

Thank you too for driving us...

Then we'd be out the starting blocks!

Re: Re: too

Dear GM,

I would think that it is appropriate to place the word 'too' between two commas because you could treat the word as being a nonessential element in the sentence. In the sentence that Gen provided, the word 'too' is not needed; the person doing the thanking just wants to thank that person (the person who drove) for doing something (driving) else as well, which would explain why 'too' would mean "also" in the sentence provided.

I do have two personal questions that relate to you, GM. I would appreciate it if you answer them, but I do understand if you are unwilling to, so do not think that you are compelled to provide me with a response.

Questions: What is your affiliation with this website? How old are you? If you do not wish to tell me your exact age, please at least provide me with an age range.

About helping me: You do not need to look for resources for my questions, the ones I asked earlier this month. I understood what you wrote, so there is no need for you to spend more time helping me.

Regards,
Anthony

Re: Re: Re: too

I would think that it is appropriate to place the word 'too' between two commas because you could treat the word as being a nonessential element in the sentence.

The word 'too' can be omitted from the sentence, but this does not mean that it is non essential. Most adverbs are non essential; i.e. the sentence makes perfect sense without them.

I want to thank you heartily for fixing my door.

I want to thank you for fixing my door.

Is 'heartily' non essential? No, in my view.

I would say this is an example of non-essential parenthesis:

Susan, who lives upstairs, has a large dog.

I think 'additional information' is a better term than 'non-essential information'.

In answer to your personal questions:

Affiliation to site: It's mine.

The 'contact us' page on the home page will reach me if you have any non-grammar questions.

Re: Re: too

Shut up nubs

Re: Re: Re: Re: too

Thanks for answering my questions, GM.