General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Verb tense agreement?

Are the verb tenses correct in these two examples?

"Bobby visited his grandma yesterday. Grandma asked if he would enjoy playing in the game room while she cooks."

"Bobby visited his grandma yesterday. Grandma asked if he would enjoy playing in the game room while she is cooking."

Thanks,
Rebecca

Re: Verb tense agreement?

Mmm, this is tricky. It's a matter of whether a change of tense is required in reported speech. I judge that it is (for the cooking/cooks part). I would opt for:

Bobby visited his grandma yesterday. Grandma asked if he would enjoy playing in the game room while she cooked.

Thanks. But would you do "while she was cooking" as opposed to "while she cooked"?

Bobby visited his grandma yesterday. Grandma asked if he would enjoy playing in the game room while she was cooking.

or

Bobby visited his grandma yesterday. Grandma asked if he would enjoy playing in the game room while she cooked.

I suspect the answer is both. You see, it probably depends on what she said. If she said 'while I cook', use 'while she cooked'. If she said 'while I am cooking', use 'while she was cooking'.

In my opinion, she could have said either and been correct. So, both answers are right methinks.