General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grammar question

Is this first sentence correct?

Today in 8th I wrote the essay of the interview he conducted with myself. I know he interviewed his brother as well, it was just hard to help write an interview on him without knowing him.

Re: Grammar question

I'm not sure what "in 8th" means. Do you mean 8th Grade or on the 8th of the month? I'm going to assume the former.

Today in 8th Grade, I wrote the essay of the interview he conducted with me. I know he interviewed his brother as well. It was just hard to help write an interview on him without knowing him.

The version above is better grammatically, but I have to say, I haven't got a clue what you're talking about. It's not clear who he or him is, i.e., whether they're the same people or different people. If you're a native English speaker, I'm afraid to say it's not well written. Sorry. Try again. If you're learning English, then it looks like you're quite advanced. Try to think more clearly. I would recommend putting a name or two in there. That'll help.

Thanks. That helps. The writer meant 8th period, and "he" is my son Nolan, but I was confused about the use of "myself" instead of "me". It was a note the writer left for me. So I guess that answered my question. I thought I missed something back when I was in school and although I was sure the use of "myself" was bad, I wanted to get another opinion. That was written by an educator at my son's high school. Sad, isn't it?

Yeah, that's fairly disastrous.

“Myself” is used with “I” to emphasize your own role in the sentence.

- I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
- I do not take a single newspaper, and I feel myself infinitely the happier for it.

People use myself to avoid using I and me.

The insults were aimed at the doctor and I. [wrong]
The insults were aimed at the doctor and me. [correct, but sounds wrong]
The insults were aimed at the doctor and myself. [wrong, but sounds better than all other options (to some)]

Thanks for all of your help! The examples were helpful.