General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thesis Dedication

I have finished my master's thesis and attempted to dedicate the work to my wife. She has seen a draft and seems to think my dedication is grammatically incorrect. Should I just change the dedication to someone else or is there a way to fix it up?

"To my wife Jennifer, without her love and support none of this would have been possible."

Re: Thesis Dedication

Ha, ha. Your version is okay if you ask me. I have bit of an issue with the comma, but dedications (like CVs) are not normally written in complete sentences. There is a lot of leniency. That's why yours is okay. Below are some better versions. I'd go for the second one if I were you. The first sentence in the second one is not a grammatically sound sentence, but it works well for a dedication.

"This is dedicated to my wife Jennifer. Without her love and support, none of this would have been possible." [PERFECT]

"Dedicated to my wife Jennifer. Without her love and support, none of this would have been possible." [VERY ACCEPTABLE]

Congratulations on finishing it.

PS If you haven't had someone proofread it, make sure you do. You will not see your own errors no matter how many times you read it.

Re: Thesis Dedication

Thank you. It was surprisingly difficult to confirm or deny the correctness of this sort of thing. I appreciate the help.

I had my wife proof read the rest of the thesis. I would not have found 90% of the problems without her.