General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to distinguish between abbreviations and acronyms, especially in terms of sound?

I want to ask that how can one differentiate between an abbreviation and an acronym since the shortening of words is quite popular in our age. I am working in IT and daily come across many, mostly unfamiliar and seen-first-time, shortened words. Now as I only read them over the Internet, I seldom have any idea about their sounds.

For example, there is a privileged IT institute in my city whose name is shortened as PUCIT. Now what I cannot figure out is whether to pronounce it as PEEE.YOO.SEE.EYE.TEE. or 'PYOOSIT'???

Similarly, I read an example on Grammar Monster, explaining the use of articles 'A' and A'n' with vowel/consonant sounding words. There an acronym was used, which was FOD (meant to be pronounced as a word). But I immediately took it as an abbreviation and read it EFF-O-DEE (my mistake was corrected later when I read the instructions with that example).

So the question is whether is there a way that by only reading a shortened word we can instantly know if it is an abbreviation or acronym?

Re: How to distinguish between abbreviations and acronyms, especially in terms of sound?

Good question. I'm afraid there isn't. This is the best I can come up with:

- If it looks like another word, then it'll definitely be an acronym (e.g. D.A.N.C.E., ARREST).

- If it can be said, then it's very probably an acronym. (I think your PUCIT is a good example.)

- If it can't be said easily, it'll be an abbreviation. (e.g. TFT, CJO)

But, these are only guidelines. SOS looks like it should be an acronym, but it isn't of course.

------------

More on abbreviations...