General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Double Space After a Fullstop

I'm gearing up for fight with my opinioned boss to protect my right to double after fullstops. I write for print and am firmly of the view that it looks better and helps the readability. He isn't. What is the prevailing view amoungst those who actually care?

Re: Double Space After a Fullstop

Hi Rachel,

I think you're out of date. I've only just trained myself not to double tap the space bar after a full stop. I can single tap now, and life is still bearable.

The double space dates back to typewriters when the space character wasn't as wide as the others. With computers, the need has gone. Moreover, when text is fully justified, the spaces in between all words get mangled, making the double space irrelevant. Also, in HTML, the browser will treat a double space as just one (unless you specifically use "#nbsp;"). So, you can see, the double space is a bit archaic.

My advice? Pick your battles. Let this one go, and slaughter him on the next one!

Rgds

note: The # in #nbsp; should be an &, but it kept putting a real space in when I wrote it properly.

Re: Double Space After a Fullstop

I have been taught by RSA/OCR Word and Text processing. As a touch typist it is MANDATORY to always have DOUBLE SPACING after a full spot.

I have done a training in web design and still use double line spacing. Those without formal training to be a typist would not know about correct typing.

I am currently doing OCR Word and Text Processing Level 3 and Audio Typing at Level 3 - on COMPUTERS. I passed RSA Level 1 in 1995, it has changed to OCR.

As the OP said, it is far easier to read double spacing than one, especially if you want to skim vast text. Much easier to see where the sentences end!

I will always keep to double spacing. If more people did my training, this would not even be an issue.