General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
sentence structure with semicolons

Is this sentence correct? "I work in partnership with a local historian and re-enactor, Mr. Bill Smith; The Anderson Initiative Group; and The Anderson Museum to involve educators in the City Celebration and other activites." I want to know if there should be a comma or some kind of punctuation after the word Museum? Thanks!

Re: sentence structure with semicolons

I don't knopw if there is a rule to apply here but it is perfectly understandable without a punctuation mark so, in my opinion, it is fine to leave it as it is. If anyone tells you different please let me know...along with the reason(s) they give.

Re: sentence structure with semicolons

Your use of semicolons in the list is fine. Personally, I would put a small T on The Anderson Initiative Group (even if the T is right), because it looks unwieldy as the second list item in a list containing semicolons. There is more about semicolons in lists here.

Your question is really about whether to put a comma at the end of a compound subject. You can (if you deem it to help your reader), but it will be frowned upon by the grammar savvy. There's more on using a comma after a compound subject here.