General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Marked and unmarked for aspect?

Hi everyone, I have a question.
How can I know if the verb is marked or unmarked for aspect?

For example in a sentence ''Scared to death, the little girl was desperately hoping to find her lost parents.'' the word LOST is the past participle from the verb TO LOSE, it is lexical, irregular, active, and UNMARKED FOR ASPECT.

But, I don't know why. Please, help me.

Re: Marked and unmarked for aspect?

You've got me there, Visnja. I don't know. Perhaps it means that it does not portray aspect.

Okay, my friend told me the answer on that question yesterday. Reportedly, when we have perfective form (HAVE(auxiliary) + past participle of the lexical verb) and progressive form (BE (auxiliary) + present participle of the lexical verb) then its marked for aspect. In any other case it's not.

Just so tou know, these are the things we learn at the first year of college in University of Belgrade in Serbia. But, thanks anyway :)

*you
*at University

But according to the link GM gives in his response, there are four aspects, and your answer, Visnja, ignores two of them (the simple aspect and the perfect progressive aspect). Far be it from me to say your friend and teachers are wrong, but I am wondering why. Now I am confused! I wish you luck with your studies.

I know, I am confused too. My teacher didn't teach us that, she didn't even mentioned that during our lessons, but she asks those kind of things. She has written the book and we study from it, but there is no clear explanation about aspect and how to decide whether some verb is marked or unmarked. I see that there is no other option but to ask her to explain me that.
Thank you,I need a lot of luck for this faculty.