General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Then used as a conjunction with a comma

I'm trying very hard to get my head around this grammar business. Using this site, the Grammar Rules (writing with military precision.) and a mountain of other material. Comma use is my nemesis. I understand most of the rules governing their use, but some of the books I read puzzle me. Take this by Neil Cross;
'He took a steak knife from the drawer, then took the blue bucket from the cupboard.
And John Grisham;
Hume made a ton of money clearing out wayward doctors, then created a fierce reputation by destroying a couple of philandering senators.

Both excellent authors, but can someone explain what the comma use is here. I understand that 'then' is not a coordinating conjunction. There are many such uses in the two books I quoted and I cannot see where ' ,then ' comes from. Bit of a long winded post but would be grateful if someone can enlighten me. Thanks.

Re: Then used as a conjunction with a comma

You're right. The comma is not really justified. I judge this to be shorthand for "and then". Even then, the comma is not justified. That said, authors can get away with a lot in novels as the need to control the flow of text and readability often trump grammar. It happens all the time, and I quite like the flexibility that "mantra" affords.

In your examples then is an adverb of time.