General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who or Whom

I am in a bit of a jam. I am attempting to understand the difference with using the words who and whom. I need some help. I want to use the proper word for my essay topic. It will be "Heroes: People ____ have made a difference". My confusion is should i use who made a difference or whom made a difference. For some reason whom sounds better but I dont know if it is correct.. Can anyone help?

Re: Who or Whom

Amanda
I am in a bit of a jam. I am attempting to understand the difference with using the words who and whom. I need some help. I want to use the proper word for my essay topic. It will be "Heroes: People ____ have made a difference". My confusion is should i use who made a difference or whom made a difference. For some reason whom sounds better but I dont know if it is correct.. Can anyone help?

It's "who"

Who is like he. Whom is like him.

You wouldn't say him made a difference, so it can't be whom.

More on who and whom.

Hi Amanda,

The previous answer is correct. In your example it is "who" because it is the subject of the sentence. "Whom" is used as the direct and indirect object: "Whom did you meet yesterday?" (direct object). "To whom did you give your advice?" (indirect object).

Congratulations for not using "people THAT..." Human beings are "who"; animals and inanimate objects are "that":

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Animals that are domesticated make nice pets.

Ed
ELCrosby3b@hotmail.com

I think since who serves as subject then its the correct one in that regard.