General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Restrictive clause agreement of subject and verb

Which of the following sentences is correct ( is it correspond or corresponds with an s)?

Please indicate if you request that we waive the requirement that the address of the property for which the exemption is claimed correspond to the address listed on your driver's license.

Please indicate if you request that we waive the requirement that the address of the property for which the exemption is claimed corresponds to the address listed on your driver's license.

Re: Restrictive clause agreement of subject and verb

Oooh, yummy subjunctive...

However, it is the second one that is right (though I might advise against going with either sentence, as the many relative clauses and sub-clauses make it a little difficult to follow).

Explanation: If you ignore for a moment the words "of the property for which the exemption is claimed" you will be left with "... the requirement that the address corresponds to the address listed ..."

The reason this is right is that the clause with the verb "correspond" is relative to the noun "requirement"; now, if it had been a verb you could have indulged in that delicious subjunctive (for example "... we require that the address correspond to ...").

All the above is only my opinion - anyone who disagrees is welcome to put me right.