General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Correct punctuation when ending a sentence with a quoted sentence.

When ending a sentence with a quoted sentence, should there be a period inside the quotes to end the quoted sentence and another period outside the ending quotation mark to end the sentence that contains the quote?

Example: My brother told me "Don't call me at this number again.".

I'm thinking that the sentence containing the quote needs a period of it's own but to me it looks strange to write .".

And should the above sentence actually read: I'm thinking that the sentence containing the quote needs a period of it's own but to me it looks strange to write .".. (with an additional period to end the sentence?)

Thanks.

Re: Correct punctuation when ending a sentence with a quoted sentence.

Usually I would not put a period after a quoted sentence, but I believe this would depend on where you live or the place the recipient lives.

Wouldn't you use all the original punctuation found in the sentence that is being quoted? If you would leave off the period, would you just as well leave off a question mark in a quoted sentence that is a question?

Thanks.

It is unusual to double up end punctuation. There is more on punctuation inside or outside quotation marks here.

You just use the period inside the quotation. The exception of putting outside quotation marks , used in British English, is if you ask a question about a quoted question; for example, Did Mary say, "Where is John" ? Alternatively, if using American English you put the question mark inside the quotation marks instead-- Did Mary say, "Where is John ?"