General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Problems with two illustrations

Problem No. 1.

On your website, you have this example illustrating the difference between the words "block" and "bloc". However, in the example you've given, there is a grammatical mistake. Here is your sentence.

"Mexico, Colombia, Peru and Chile have removed all trade tariffs between them,
cementing a bloc that the four hope will encourage free trade between Latin
America and the rest of the world."

If you are talking about two items, in order to link them, the word "between" is correct. However, when you have three or more items, the linking word should be "among" instead of "between". Here you have four countries, yet you are still using "between", which is incorrect.

Problem No. 2.

Further down on the same page, you were using this example to illustrate the usage of "block" as a verb.

"You can get as many signatures as you like, the boss will block your proposal."

This is a compound sentence separated by a comma (,). There are two parts: A and B, each of which can stand by itself as a complete sentence if the punctuation is correct because they are both independent clauses.

"You can get as many signatures as you like" = A. " he boss will block your proposal" = B. The question here is whether that punctuation of comma (,) in between the two, is correct. I contend that it is not.

When we have an A and B situation, there can only be three possible solutions.

(i) A, and B. A, but B. We may use other similar conjunctions instead of "and" or "but" depending on the meaning or emphasis. When we use a comma in this situation, we need a conjunction here. It is mandatory.

(ii) A; B. If we don't want to use any conjunction, then we must change the comma (,) to a semi-colon ( .

(iii) A. B. This is the simple solution with two sentences. However, there is no meaning expressed to indicate the relationship between these two sentences.

We all make mistakes. However, on a website like this, teaching others on grammar and punctuation, it pays to double and triple check.

Re: Problems with two illustrations

" We all make mistakes. However, on a website like this, teaching others on grammar and punctuation, it pays to double and triple check. "

Yes, I completely agree.
This - grammatical errors on a website specifically designed to help people with their English Grammar - infuriates me. Especially having read the creator of this website's book, which is immensely thorough, I can't help but feel slightly cheated.

Re: Problems with two illustrations

Ha, yes. Well spotted. I think quadruple checks are in order.

I have changed the offending sentences.

It also highlights no among/between lesson in the easily confused words section. I'll fix that too.

Thanks for your vigilance.