General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Confused about some types of clauses

Hello every1!

I understand independent clauses (or main clauses), subordinate clauses and relative clauses. However, I think I am confused because

1) Some clauses have same names for the same thing. Why?
2) There are other clauses that I believe I have omitted. I am confused about all the rest. Could you please refer me to a BEGINNERS guide to this?

Thanks!
Random Guy

Re: Confused about some types of clauses

I am also confused.

I know this is correct (example on website):
I missed the plane; however, I still made it to the meeting.

And this would also be correct:
I missed the plane, but still made it to the meeting.

But what is the correct punctuation when the subject is not repeated in the second clause?

I missed the plane; however still made it to the meeting.
or
I missed the plane, however still made it to the meeting.

I'm a transcriptionist and must transcribe what is dictated. I cannot add words or revise sentence structure.

The speaker/'dictator' is using telegraphic speech ***(omitting inessential words).

The way you have punctuated the sentence is the best way to deal with it! (Can't get a smiley to appear)

*** In the days prior to the 1980s, the majority of people didn't have 'phones, so when they needed to contact someone quickly, they sent a telegram. The charge for these depended on the number of words, and the name and address of the recipient took up quite a few word. So, we used to omit as many words as possible from the actual message while still making it understandable.

e.g.
"I will arrive home on Friday. Can you meet my train at 7 p.m."
becomes
home friday meet train 7 p.m.

Random Guy:

1) Some clauses have same names for the same thing. Why?
2) There are other clauses that I believe I have omitted.

Why not post examples of both in the forum, and then we can see what the confusion is, and hopefully help you.