General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Noun Clause

Hello

That he believes his own story is remarkable. it seems to be a complete sentence ,but it does not have at least one independent clause. it does have dependent clause which is "That he believes his own story" . I wonder if this noun clause can be the subject of the independent clause ,and the independent clause can form the whole sentence because the sentence needs at least one independent clause.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say , sorry I am non-native English speaker .

Thank you
Sue

Re: Noun Clause

Another way of writing this sentence is:

It is remarkable that he believes his own story.

It is remarkable : main clause
that the believes his own story : dependent clause.

The way the given sentence is written, the dependent clause is used as a noun clause and the subject of a sentence that then consists of one main clause!

(If I have not explained that clearly enough, just say what you are still not sure about.)

Hi Bazza, what are you saying is the subject of the sentence?

Thanks

"that he believes his own story" is a noun clause.

This is then used as the subject of the sentence:

That he believes his own story is remarkable.

Are you trying to say the dependent clause can be sometimes part of the main clause as a subject for example . However,the rule is both independent clause and dependent clause needs to be connected to form a sentence ,and I don't see that in my given sentence . Only the way you rewrote it, I can separate both clauses and connect them again as two units , but I can't do that with my original sentence . I understood what you explained.Thank you

I re-wrote your sentence, so that you could see a main clause, and a dependent clause.

I then showed how the dependent clause OF MY REWRITTEN SENTENCE became the subject OF YOUR SENTENCE.

The subject of a sentence is a noun, or a pronoun.

But now that it is the subject, IT IS NO LONGER A DEPENDENT CLAUSE. It is termed a noun clause because it isn't a single noun or pronoun; it has its own verb; and is being used as the subject of your sentence.

Hi Bazza, consider how I personally see it;

-That he believes his own story is remarkable.

That he believes = dependent clause/sub-clause
His own story is remarkable = independent clause/main clause

What do you say to this Bazza?

I say……that it changes the meaning entirely.

Tell me what you think is the implied meaning of the sentence:

"That he believes his own story is remarkable."

compare:

"His behaviour has been downright scurrilous. That he comes from a respectable family is shocking."

So, following your pattern:

"That he comes from" := a dependent clause (?)
And the main clause is:
"A respectable family is shocking." (Consider the meaning that this clause now has !!!! )