General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
There is a licence/license cost for that software?

Hi all,

I have looked over you 'licence' and 'license' grammar pages, but I don't seem to be able to make sense of the above sentence and which word is correct, even after the transposition of either "paper", "card, or "allowed", for "licence/license". I am dyslexic, and each of these options make little sense to me.

Regards,

Chris

Re: There is a licence/license cost for that software?

Firstly, by writing the sentence as a statement ('There is…' compare 'Is there…?'), yet indicating by the question mark that it is said as a question, indicates that the speaker:
(i) is expressing mock shock that there is cost
and
(ii) is being derogatory, as if saying, 'you want MONEY for that piece of junk software?'

As for 'licence/license', someone is trying to cater to both sides of the Atlantic! If in the UK, use 'licence', and if in the USA, use 'license'.
No different to 'colour' and 'color'/'favourite' and 'favorite'.

Re: There is a licence/license cost for that software?

Hi Bazza,

The question mark was my mistake. The intended question was to refer to the correct word to use in the sentence. Maybe I should have written this as:

"There is a licence/license cost for that software."?

However, this in itself is not that great. Of course, with a subject line, brevity is key.

However, I think you have missed my point. The pages I refereed with regard to the correct licence/license word was the very pages on this site (http://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/licence_license.htm). The "tricks" mentioned made on sense to me, but I am not that great at understanding the difference between the various word types.

Regards,

Chris