General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
the question about company name

I was required to prepare English information of my Overseas Company by my manager. During the translating, two questions about choosing proper words made me confused.
Background, the Overseas Company (which I considered should be the proper one) is not an independent legal entity, which should be governed by the headquarters directly, and Overseas Company is in the same building with the headquarters.
And here are my questions:
1. I have seen some big companies in China use Overseas Branch (es) as the division involving in global business or business abroad. Or even, Overseas Branch Company, so among Overseas Company, Overseas Branch, and Overseas Branch Company, which one is the best?
I have also found out that branch somehow implies the division is at an exact location, such as, Beijing Branch of XXX, Dubai Branch of XXX, so I think a location put in front of “branch” should be a reasonable expression.
2. And even some companies use corporation instead of company, corporation sounds like a little formal. So if we choose Overseas Company (here I should say it just consists of less than 10 persons, tiny haha), between company and corporation, which do you prefer?
3. At last, I have a more general question, during the information searching on the internet, I have found that some subsidiaries use the expression like this: Beijing Engineering Construction No.6 Company, but Beijing Engineering Construction 8th Company does really exist, even though the two companies belong to one group company. So, my question is that for the different subsidiaries belonged to one group, but differentiate from ordinal number or sequence, the expressions “No.” with a cardinal number is correct or just an ordinal number like 8th?

Thanks in advance!