General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Confusion between the relative pronouns 'which' and 'that'

Hello,
I cannot understand that when to use which and when to use that
This is the road ............ Leads to station.
What is the answer I am confused.
Thank you,
Ananya

Re: Confusion between the relative pronouns \\\'which\\\' and \\\

Look at this sentence:
“I am returning the book.”

The use of ‘the’ indicates I am talking about a specific book.

But what book? Of all the books in the world, what particular book is the speaker talking about/referring to?

“I have the book that I borrowed from you.”
The ‘that’ clause defines/specifies more exactly the book the speaker is referring to.

“I go to work on the train that leaves at 8.30 a.m.”
Of all the possible trains that leave from my local train station, the ‘that’ clause defines the specific train – the 8.30 a.m. train.
Compare:
“I go to work by bus, which is a great saving on my petrol.”
Here, the ‘which’ clause does not specify anything to do with the bus – it simply adds information that is interesting, but not essential. (Note that when 'which' is used, it is preceded by a comma.)

What you need to keep in mind is the idea of "necessary for making it clear what I am referring to/talking about" versus "helpful/interesting but not essential."

So - in your sentence, the claus with '…leads to the station' tells us, of all the roads in this area, this specific road is the one 'that leads to the station.'

"The ACME Company, which manufactures tyres in the US, is suing the company that supplies their rubber."

Re: Confusion between the relative pronouns \\\\\\\'which\\\\

Thank you so much Bazza. Now I got it clear. I was not unable to find the differences between the two but now I understood that
THAT refers to something very Particular but WHICH tells us that it's essential not particular or special!!