General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Difference between who and whom.

Dears,

I read an article at gramma-monsters about the difference between who and whom, and I realized that the word whom should agree with the subject of the verb. However recently a wrote a write and I used this word and the teacher who corrected it, made this corrections at this sentence:

my mother is the person who I love the most (The away that I wrote)

my mother is the person whom I love the most (The away that teacher wrote)

The most important to me is to be happy and live in peace with my family and the people who I really love. (Me)

The most important to me is to be happy and live in peace with my family and the people whom I really love. (Teacher)

Please, can anyone help me on this question? The corrections of the teacher are totally different than the definitions that I read here at monter-grammar.

Thank you.

Re: Difference between who and whom.

Can you copy and paste the section in GrammarMonster that
led you to " realise that the word 'whom' should agree with the subject of the verb".

(or give me the webpage to go to).

Re: Difference between who and whom.

Let me explain the difference between who & whom with the examples below.
She is the girl ......(who/whom) I love.Here the subject is I.Verb is love but there is no object after the verb love. so in order to represent object we use whom in the blank mentioned above.
She is the girl.......(who/whom) loves me.Here the verb is loves.Object is me but there is no subject before the verb loves. so in order to represent the subject we use who in the blank mentioned above.
Use a subject after whom and a verb after who.

Thanks.
Good luck.
A sri lankan teacher.