General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
colon

If there are multiple sentences that appear after a colon is introduced, are those multiple sentences categorized as being one sentence?

e.g. He said: I enjoy ice cream every once in a while. However, if I eat too much it gives me brain freeze.

Re: colon

To be more specific, do multiple sentences after a colon that are contained in the same paragraph constitute being equivalent to one sentence.

Hi, I'm not sure your example works. I would have written it like this:

He said: "I enjoy ice cream every once in a while. However, if I eat too much it gives me brain freeze."

Here is a little more about speech marks with long quotations.

Given that colons are generally used to show something in apposition to something previously mentioned, there would be no need to use two sentences for whatever follows the colon.

Can you think of an example that is not a quote?

You are correct in the way that you have written it. I did not include the quotation marks.

To answer your question, I do not have any examples without a quote.

I am attempting to code some data using sentences as my coding unit. I was just wondering if I would have to break apart the text. For example, if He said: "I enjoy ice cream every once in a while. is one sentence, and, However, it I eat too much it gives me brain freeze." would be the second sentence. This way I would have two coding units. Otherwise, if I treat it as one single sentence, it would be one coding unit.

Thanks!