General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
He is, vs Him

Hello,
for the following sentence, I was told that "shorter than him" should be "shorter than he" because it means "shorter than he is". Is this correct?

You say you are shorter than him but it's not clear how tall he is.

So the correct one is:

You say you are shorter than he is but it's not clear how tall he is. ??

Please Help!! This is so frustrating!!!

Re: He is, vs Him

Yes, when we use the comparative construction
comparative adjective + than + pronoun (e.g. older than she)' it is the short form of 'older than she is'.

Strictly correct grammar is, that whether we say '...than she' or '...than she is', use the pronoun in the nominative case.

HOWEVER, we would only use 'than she' in very formal writing, because to say or write 'than she' sounds like we are being pedantic about our grammar. Here's what I suggest:

If you wish, in casual conversation, use 'than her'.
Otherwise, ALWAYS include the verb. That way, it sounds absolutely normal. In fact, to be on the safe side, I suggest to you and anybody else viewing this, that you use the full construction '…than she is'. As I say, it sounds absolutely normal in any adult conversation, and meets the standard for absolutely correct grammar!

Re: He is, vs Him

Susie
Yes, when we use the comparative construction
comparative adjective + than + pronoun (e.g. older than she)' it is the short form of 'older than she is'.

Strictly correct grammar is, that whether we say '...than she' or '...than she is', use the pronoun in the nominative case.

HOWEVER, we would only use 'than she' in very formal writing, because to say or write 'than she' sounds like we are being pedantic about our grammar. Here's what I suggest:

If you wish, in casual conversation, use 'than her'.
Otherwise, ALWAYS include the verb. That way, it sounds absolutely normal. In fact, to be on the safe side, I suggest to you and anybody else viewing this, that you use the full construction '…than she is'. As I say, it sounds absolutely normal in any adult conversation, and meets the standard for absolutely correct grammar!

Okay thanks for the response.