General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why is it in past tense

Please explain the reason why the following words 1)"recorded" 2) "received" are in past tense?

"revenue is recorded when cash is received".

Why are two words, 1) recorded and 2) received are in past form? The sentence is describing a situation which did not occur yet, then why is it in past form? Thank you~

Re: Why is it in past tense

It is not that they are in the past tense; they are in the passive voice.

Wade
It is not that they are in the past tense; they are in the passive voice.

But are they not in past tense form? Please explain in more detail, as your explanation is too short and leads to more question, rather than teaching. Thanks.

Tony is correct. This is not the past form. It is the passive form. They are in the present tense.

I clean the pond on Saturdays. (active sentence)
The pond is cleaned by me on Saturdays. (passive sentence)

The participle "cleaned" looks like a past tense verb, but it's not. It's actually a type of adjective called (rather unhelpfully) a past participle. The verb is is.

GM
Tony is correct. This is not the past form. It is the passive form. They are in the present tense.

I clean the pond on Saturdays. (active sentence)
The pond is cleaned by me on Saturdays. (passive sentence)

The participle "cleaned" looks like a past tense verb, but it's not. It's actually a type of adjective called (rather unhelpfully) a past participle. The verb is is.

Thank You GM. I really appreciate your clear and well structured explanation. Once again, Thanks.