General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Confused about sentence parts of speech

I created the message below and am confused about how to identify different parts of the sentence.

May all your life experiences, the good and the bad, become spiritual stepping stones that bring you closer to God.

Which words are the subject? (I'm guessing it is "your life experiences"). BTW, is my use of the period in the previous sentence correct?

Which word is the verb? Is it "become" or perhaps "bring"?

Is the word "God" the object?

Thank you.

Re: Confused about sentence parts of speech

Aaron
I created the message below and am confused about how to identify different parts of the sentence.

May all your life experiences, the good and the bad, become spiritual stepping stones that bring you closer to God.

Which words are the subject? (I'm guessing it is "your life experiences"). BTW, is my use of the period in the previous sentence correct?

Which word is the verb? Is it "become" or perhaps "bring"?
Is the word "God" the object?

Thank you.

Hi Aaron

1. The subject is the clause: "May all your life experiences, the good and the bad".

2. The verb in the main clause is "become". The verb in the embedded subordinate clause is "bring".

3. No, the object is not "God" but "you": it's the object of the verb "bring". "God" is the object of the preposition "to".

PaulM