Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Passed or Past? Past Passive Participle

Here's the past/passed lesson.

Dear Craig Shrives,

Is the following sentence grammatically correct?

"Yeah, since Neil Patrick Harris doesn't have a degree passed high school, he'd probably kick my ass...in acting."

Thank you,

Brant

Nah, that's past. It's like the preposition after or since.

Brant,

You misquoted me. The comment I actually made originally went something like this:

"yeah, since Neil Patrick Harris doesn't have a degree which shows he passed high school, he'd probably kick my ass...in acting.

This is actually grammatically correct. This comment was deleted because at that time Facebook reported to me a posting error, so quickly retyped what I said, and didn't notice the difference until now. In the process of retyping my original comment, I didn't notice I left out the originally typed prepositional phrase which does substantiate my choice of words, but nonetheless, I am sorry to inform you that it's actually still grammatically acceptable either way because in common parlance people often leave out prepositional phrases in order to speak quicker.

People like you seem to make it your purpose in life to fumble the trailing end of a miscommunication, and this is unfortunate. You don't seem to understand that a chat on Facebook is intended to be quick and dirty. Half the time I am chatting on Facebook, I am in the middle of doing something else. Placing strict grammar expectations on someone that you hardly even know during an idle internet chat so that it satiates your sense of grammatical anal retentiveness seems indicative of someone that kind of needs to get out of mom's basement and get some fresh air.

If it is OK with you, I'll continue to leave out notice of corrections/repostings on my Facebook wall, if only to confuse impatient people like you further into thinking you have a point.