General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Participles & subjects

Hi everyone,

I was looking into these sentences:

1. Similarly, the cost of insurance saw a rising trend, growing from only 2% to 8% by 2001.
What growing modifies,the cost of insurance or a rising trend?

2. Globally, 65%degradation is caused by too much animal gazing and tree clearance, constituting 35% and 30% respectively.
Here, constituting clearly modifies animal gazing and tree clearance, if it is, why there is a comma here? otherwise,I think it can modifies 65% degradation?

3.There was an opposite trend in the fugure for rail, dropping steadily to 28 million tones in 1995 and then increasing back to the level in 1974.
What does dropping here modify? an opposite trend or the fugure for rail?

Thank you!

Re: Participles & subjects

1. Similarly, the cost of insurance saw a rising trend, growing from only 2% to 8% by 2001.
What does growing modify, the cost of insurance or a rising trend?
It's the cost of insurance that is growing, not the rising trend, so that's what the "growing" clause refers to.

2. Globally, 65%degradation is caused by too much animal grazing and tree clearance, constituting 35% and 30% respectively.
Here, constituting clearly modifies animal gazing and tree clearance, if it is, why there is a comma here? otherwise,I think it can modifies 65% degradation?
see my note at end

3.There was an opposite trend in the future for rail, dropping steadily to 28 million tones in 1995 and then increasing back to the level in 1974.
What does dropping here modify? an opposite trend or the fugure for rail?
It refers to "opposite trend in the future for rail"

You asked about the comma in your 2nd example. In fact the same answer applies to all your examples: the participial clauses beginning with "growing", "constituting" and "dropping" are all called supplementary adjuncts. They don't actually modify anything, but simply refer to the preceding clause or some element of it. The expression they refer to is called the 'anchor'. Supplementary adjuncts are loosely attached expressions, typically set off with commas, unlike modifying adjuncts which are tightly integrated into clause structure, compare:

1. The necklace which her mother gave to her was in the safe. [modifier]

2. The necklace, which her mother gave her, was in the safe. [supplement]

In 1. the relative clause is a modifier of the noun "necklace"; it identifies which necklace is being referred to, but in 2. it is a supplement to the anchor "the necklace", which is assumed to be identifiable independently of the information given in the relative clause.

PaulM

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your reply.
It really helps.

But can I consider 'growing ...'of the first sentence as a participle phrase?

Is it just like the example below?

It is also possible to use a participle phrase at the end of a clause and not immediately after whatever it's modifying. For example:
Paul loved his boxing gloves, wearing them even to bed.
(There is a comma when the participle phrase is used farther down the sentence than its noun (Paul in this example).)

Also, how can we write those supplements correctly? Coz I thought those phrases such as 'growing...'were dangling mistakes in participle phrases. Because it is weird to say 'the trend is growing...'.I am kind of confused about supplementary adjuncts and participle phrases(if they are)

Hope it is not a tough question for you

Thank you again!

Ashley

Ashley

But can I consider 'growing ...'of the first sentence as a participle phrase?

No, it's a non-finite clause headed by the present participle verb "growing". Phrases don't have the same structure as clauses. Clauses have a subject and predicate; even non-finite clauses that don't have an overt subject are understood as though they did. And only clauses can contain auxiliary verbs and adverbs, cf: having been growing steadily from only 2% to 8% by 2001", the cost of insurance saw a rising trend.

Is it just like the example below?
Yes

It is also possible to use a participle phrase at the end of a clause and not immediately after whatever it's modifying. For example:
Paul loved his boxing gloves, wearing them even to bed.
(There is a comma when the participle phrase is used farther down the sentence than its noun (Paul in this example).)
Definitely! Supplementary adjuncts can pop up all over the place:
1. "Thinking about the day ahead, Ed set off for work".
2. "Ed set off for work, thinking about the day ahead".
3. "Ed, thinking about the day ahead, set off for work".

Also, how can we write those supplements correctly? Coz I thought those phrases such as 'growing...'were dangling mistakes in participle phrases. Because it is weird to say 'the trend is growing...'.I am kind of confused about supplementary adjuncts and participle phrases(if they are).
Forget participle phrases - there's no such thing. If an expression has a verb as its head word, it must be a clause, not a phrase. Also see my comment above about auxiliary verbs and adverbs.

As I said, supplementary adjuncts with the form of a clause, are non-finite (not tensed). most non-finite clauses are subjectless, though we understand them as though they do have subjects. For example, in my three examples above, none of the clauses has a subject, but we can recover the subject form the matrix clause, and it's obviously "Ed". Sometimes, it is difficult to work out what the subject is, and this gives rise to the so called "dangling pariciple", for example: "Walking down the street, his hat blew off", where it was he, not his hat, that was walking down the street.

But generally, non-finite clauses as supplementary adjuncts are perfectly fine and very common.

Does that help?

PaulM