General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Learned, Learnt. Why not Learn-ed?

Hello and Howdy y'all (I would normally shake with my right hand but I don't see a smiley for that).

I was born and live in England which is a part of Britain which is itself a part of "The United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)". The UK also includes Wales (lovely place if you like hills and sheep) and Scotland (bigger hills, and they don't like us much so they are trying to break away from the union).

That was just my self introduction. I would like to ask your opinions about:-

http://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/learned_learnt.htm

So we have two words "Learnt (typ. UK)", and "Learned (typ. USA)". They are a classic example of

The USA and The UK, two Great Nations separated by a common language.
I have some American friends and we often discuss the differences in our language. Just to further confuse matters, the word "Learned" is often horribly misused here by people who mean "Taught".
"They learned me some English at school today."

What about the example inferring "educated", the word "learned" pronounced "LEARN-ed"? That is used here in the UK in parliament (and in court rooms) supposedly to signify respect for fellow educated people. e.g. "My LEARN-ed friend". It is often used when referring to their sworn enemies, the "opposition". Methinks their implied respect may not genuinely be felt!

Note: Even in the UK they never say, "My Learnt-ed friend"

1) I wonder how hard would it be to introduce, and have included in dictionaries, the hyphenated version ( i.e. "Learn-ed") to specifically mean those people

2) Thinking about how absurd our government system is, should we also encourage those allegedly learned people to be "taught-ed" some common sense?

I hope you don't feel (that) the above is off-topic in a grammar forum If you do, please amuse yourselves by tearing apart my nearly 60 year old British version of grammar and Please do enjoy your day

Re: Learned, Learnt. Why not Learn-ed?

"...tearing apart my nearly 60 year old British version of (understanding the meaning of words).

What about the example inferring "educated", the word "learned" pronounced "LEARN-ed"?

You mean 'implying'.

Not to mention: What about the example implying "educated" (IS THE SAME AS) the word "learned",(COMMA) pronounced "LEARN-ed"?

No…that wasn't fun.