General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Arrive vs Arrived

Hello,

Which of the following sentences are correct, and why?

1) When did you arrive?

2) When did you arrived?

I think it is number 2, "When did you arrived" because the verb "Do" is in past tense, therefore, its corresponding verb "arrive" should also be in past tense form of "arrived". Is my thinking wrong? If so, please advice. Thanks.

Re: Arrive vs Arrived

Tony
Hello,

1) When did you arrive?

2) When did you arrived?

I think it is number 2, "When did you arrived" because the verb "Do" is in past tense, therefore, its corresponding verb "arrive" should also be in past tense form of "arrived". Is my thinking wrong? If so, please advice. Thanks.

Hi Tony,

No, it's your first one that's correct. You see, in your example "do" is an auxiliary verb (called "dummy" do) that bears the tense (present "do" or past "did"), but it is always followed by the infinitive form of the verb irrespective of person or tense:

When did I arrive?
When did he leave?
When did they go?
When do I arrive?
When does he leave?
When do they go?

See how the main verbs remain unchanged in all those examples; that's because they are all infinitives.

Does that help?

PaulM

Re: Arrive vs Arrived

Paul Matthews
Tony
Hello,

1) When did you arrive?

2) When did you arrived?

Hi Tony,

No, it's your first one that's correct. You see, in your example "do" is an auxiliary verb (called "dummy" do) that bears the tense (present "do" or past "did"), but it is always followed by the infinitive form of the verb irrespective of person or tense:

When did I arrive?
When did he leave?
When did they go?
When do I arrive?
When does he leave?
When do they go?

See how the main verbs remain unchanged in all those examples; that's because they are all infinitives.

Does that help?

PaulM

Okay, I understand now. I really appreciate your help! Thanks~