General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Good or well?

You are funny guy you are arguing and in the same time you correct my mistakes !

Paul Matthews
Nour
Unlike some PEOPLE I am a girl with good manners I don't judge people if they are polite or not,Because just a word! just because of a word.
Got it?

And I don't wait from a foreign guy to tech me maners!want a foreign guy to teach me manners

So you don't want a "foreign guy" like me to teach you manners, but you're okay with me teaching you English !!!!

And who do you want to teach you manners? Your peers and teachers clearly do not teach you!

I suggest you ask your question again, but this time with a please.

Btw, as you can see, I have corrected the mistakes in your question!

PaulM
what is wrong with you?

Do I really have to say (please )?

Nour,
I think it may be "My father dresses very well" because we usually say " a well-dressed man" not "a good dressed man"
I am not complete sure but 8 out of 10 say "well" is the most suitable one

Emma
Nour,
I think it may be "My father dresses very well" because we usually say " a well-dressed man" not "a good dressed man"

Hi Emma and Nour

The adverb “well” is the correct word; it describes the way he dresses.

In the sense that “dresses” has here (meaning in an appropriate and typically appealing way) it requires a manner dependent such as “well”; it’s more or less obligatory and thus a complement.

By contrast, the adjective “good” is used to describe a property of someone or something, often predicatively:

He looks good.
It appears to be good.
This is a good restaurant.

PaulM

Paul Matthews
Emma
Nour,

Hi Emma and Nour

The adverb “well” is the correct word; it describes the way he dresses.

In the sense that “dresses” has here (meaning in an appropriate and typically appealing way) it requires a manner dependent such as “well”; it’s more or less obligatory and thus a complement.

By contrast, the adjective “good” is used to describe a property of someone or something, often predicatively:

He looks good.
It appears to be good.
This is a good restaurant.

PaulM

Thanks for both of You even thought I answer it wrong on the exam hhhhho_O