General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Appositive & Appositive phrase

Hello!, i got 2 questions, i need help, it's not for homework, my test is tomorrow :s

Question 1: Write down the appositive and the noun it identifies :

British explorer and navigator Mathew Finders was the first to chart the coastline.

Question 2: is the appositive in this sentence essential or nonessential?

His father Auguste Piccard designed the bathyscaphe.

Appositive: Auguste Piccard

Re: Appositive & Appositive phrase

Zack
Hello!, i got 2 questions, i need help, it's not for homework, my test is tomorrow :s

Question 1: Write down the appositive and the noun it identifies :

British explorer and navigator Mathew Finders was the first to chart the coastline.

There is no appositive in this example. The NPs "British explorer" and "navigator" are coordinated modifiers of the head "Matthew Finders". An appositive modifier must immediately follow the noun it modifies; it can't be separated from the noun it modifies:

The opera Carmen is my favourite.
They invited my wife Lucy.
Our friend the mayor came to see us.

Appositive modifiers are distinguished from non-appositive ones by their ability to stand alone in place of the whole NP, for example, instead of "They invited my wife Lucy we could simply say "They invited Lucy". In your example, the coordinator "and" is part of the NP "and navigator", but you can't say "*And navigator Matthew Finders was the first ....".

His father Auguste Piccard designed the bathyscaphe. (Appositive: Auguste Piccard)

It's helpful but non-essential. The key to this is the presence of the pro-form "his" which refers to some person mentioned earlier in the discourse. For example, you might imagine this conversation:

(1) Was there a famous designer in Claude Piccard's family?
(2) Yes, his father designed the bathyscaphe.
(3) Yes, his father Auguste Piccard designed the bathyscaphe.

In that short dialogue, the question (1) is not asking for the name of Claude's father, but just whether there was a famous designer in his family. The affirmative reply (2) is adequate as it answers the question perfectly. Reply (3) adds helpful further information by stating the name of the father, but it is not essential to answer the question.

PaulM

If you are American, then the 'false title' "British explorer and navigator" is regarded as an appositive, identifying the noun "Matthew Flinders" (note the correct spelling of "Matthew').

It is a variation on:
Matthew Flinders, the British explorer and navigator, was...
The omission of the 'the' in your original "British explorer and navigator Matthew Flinders" began with journalists, but has become accepted in the mainstream.

A person has only one father, so this identifies the person. His actual name is interesting, but nonessential.

It should be written:

His father, Auguste Piccard, designed the bathyscaphe.

Claire
If you are American, then the 'false title' "British explorer and navigator" is regarded as an appositive, identifying the noun "Matthew Flinders" (note the correct spelling of "Matthew').
I disagree:

British explorer and navigator, Matthew Flinders, was the first to chart the coastline.

The NP "British explorer and navigator" could not possibly be an appositive modifier because it is head of the matrix NP (underlined). The appositive NP is in fact "Matthew Flinders". Appositives are post head modifiers (they follow the head they modify), not pre-head ones, so that rules out the NP "British explorer and navigator".

It is a variation on:
Matthew Flinders, the British explorer and navigator, was...
The omission of the 'the' in your original "British explorer and navigator Matthew Flinders" began with journalists, but has become accepted in the mainstream.

Reversing the NPs means that "Matthew Flinders" becomes head of the matrix NP, and inserting the determiner “the” in "the British explorer and navigator" means that it is now an appositive. This is evident from the fact that "The British explorer and navigator was the first to chart the coastline" is a genuine entailment of the original sentence.

However, omitting the determiner "the" to give "British explorer and navigator" changes things. This construction does not qualify as apposition because it cannot be substituted for the whole construction in such a way as to yield an entailment of the original, the bare role NP being unable to take over the subject function: *"British explorer and navigator was the first to chart the coastline".

PaulM

British explorer and navigator Matthew Finders was the first to chart the coastline.

this sentence is written in my Grammar,usage, and mechanics workbook by holt mcdougel (wrong spelling) there must be an appositive/phrase.. i'm confuced

Mr. Matthews fails to grasp that the omission of the 'the' was a journalistic rendition of 'The British explorer and navigator", and has practice has entered the mainstream. THEY ARE NOW REGARDED AS EQUIVALENT - BOTH ARE ACCEPTABLE.

Claire
Mr. Matthews fails to grasp that the omission of the 'the' was a journalistic rendition of 'The British explorer and navigator", and has practice has entered the mainstream. THEY ARE NOW REGARDED AS EQUIVALENT - BOTH ARE ACCEPTABLE.

Totally irrelevant. Appositives by definition are post-head modifiers, i.e. they always follow the noun they modify. So with or without a determiner, the NP "British explorer and navigator" cannot possibly be an appositive in the example that was submitted.

Here are some other examples:

The murderer, the man with the scar, will be arrested soon.
A university lecturer, Dr Brown, was arrested for the crime.
A surprise present, a bouquet of roses, was delivered to my door.

In those three examples, the appositives are in bold, and the NP's they modify are underlined, not the other way round!

PaulM

Zack
British explorer and navigator Matthew Finders was the first to chart the coastline.

this sentence is written in my Grammar,usage, and mechanics workbook by holt mcdougel (wrong spelling) there must be an appositive/phrase.. i'm confuced

Hi Zack

No need to be confused!

The appositive in your example is "Matthew Flinders". It modifies the NP "British explorer and navigator".

That is the only possibility.

PaulM