General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Correct Comma Usage

01. All room rates are on room-only basis, exclusive of service charge and taxes.
02. All room rates are on room-only basis. They are exclusive of service charge and taxes.

03. All elite members enjoy a complimentary room upgrade, subject to availability at check-in.
04. All elite members enjoy a complimentary room upgrade. It is subject to availability at check-in.

I want to know if the use of comma in sentences 01 and 03 are correct. If not, why not? If yes, why so?

Sentences 02 and 04 are included for comparison.

Also, can the article "a" be omitted before the phrase "complimentary room upgrade"?

All elite members enjoy complimentary room upgrade. It is subject to availability at check-in.

Re: Correct Comma Usage

Am I getting a response? Any help appreciated!

Re: Correct Comma Usage

01. All room rates are on a room-only basis, exclusive of service charge and taxes.
Note: a room-only basis

03. All elite members enjoy a complimentary room upgrade, subject to availability at check-in.

I want to know if the use of a comma in sentences 01 and 03 IS correct. YES
If yes, why so? : because when two sentences are joined, (as in (02) >(01)), we still have two separate ideas (i) room rates and (ii) (service and tax). This is indicated to the reader by separating them with a comma.

He thinks himself a fool. I agree. >>>
>>> He thinks himself a fool, and I agree.
The two separate ideas are shown as two separate sentences, or joined with the addition of a comma. (Forget what people say that 'a comma indicates a pause'.
NO. It sets apart the different ideas being expressed; and we naturally pause between ideas in our speech, and NOT because there is some invisible comma in our mind acting like a speed bump.

Also, can the article "a" be omitted before the phrase "complimentary room upgrade" : NO