General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grammar Question

Hello,
first I want to thank for you web service that is so usefull.
I have found in a technical specification this sentence below:
for thermal profiles not employing ....

not employing: what kind of grammar structure is it?

thanks

Re: Grammar Question

For thermal profiles THAT ARE not employing… : 'are employing' = Present Continuous Tense
>>> For thermal profiles not employing…

For those children WHO ARE not going on the school outing,… : 'are going'
>>> For those children not going on the school outing,…

We are able to omit the words in capital lettering without changing the meaning of the sentence.

I need help.
Q:Pick out appositive modifiers from given sentences.
1. On the way he met his hot tempered friend who was a famous player.
2. His father is an expert of heart transplants who was awarded a prize from local government.
3. A colorful painting, it was made by Zaid in 2010.
4. Sara, a cute little girl, is also very smart.
5. Cricket, a game somewhat similar to baseball, is popular in Pakistan and India.

Claire
For thermal profiles THAT ARE not employing… : 'are employing' = Present Continuous Tense
>>> For thermal profiles not employing…

For those children WHO ARE not going on the school outing,… : 'are going'
>>> For those children not going on the school outing,…

We are able to omit the words in capital lettering without changing the meaning of the sentence.

So, also in this sentence ("I saw him laying the table") is it omitted "that He was", that is: I saw him that he was laying the table.
Isn't it?

In the sentence:
For those children WHO ARE not going on the school outing…

'who are not going…' is a Restrictive Clause - CLAUSE - telling us those children SPECIFICALLY being referred to.

In your new sentence, we have two separate ideas:

I saw him.
He WAS LAYING the table.

Omit the words 'he was' and we have:
"I saw him laying the table."

'laying the table' does not tell us which 'him' we are specifically talking about -'him who was laying' - but what 'he was doing'.

Claire
In the sentence:
For those children WHO ARE not going on the school outing…

'who are not going…' is a Restrictive Clause - CLAUSE - telling us those children SPECIFICALLY being referred to.

In your new sentence, we have two separate ideas:

I saw him.
He WAS LAYING the table.

Omit the words 'he was' and we have:
"I saw him laying the table."

'laying the table' does not tell us which 'him' we are specifically talking about -'him who was laying' - but what 'he was doing'.

I understand now. Below the text in which is reported my question-sentence:

I saw the count in my room. He was making my bed. Then, later, I saw him laying the table ... and so on.

Now is 'who was doing' a Restrictive Clause?
Thanks!!!

"I saw the Count in my room. He was making my bed. Then, later, I saw him laying the table."

I saw the Count in my room, making my bed. Then, later, I saw him laying the table.

In your sentences, YOU know (from all the Counts in all the aristocratic families in the world), the SPECIFIC Count you are referring to. I DON"T. The reader does not. Nothing in your sentence tells me WHICH COUNT YOU ARE REFERRING TO.
All that we have are two actions he performed - 'was making' and 'was laying'. Any Count in the whole wide world could do that. These actions don't tell me specifically WHICH COUNT. There is no Restrictive clause in your sentences above.

Is this the Count THAT you met at that cocktail party you attended last week?
Is this the Count THAT invited you to his chateau?

"For those children WHO ARE not going on the school outing,…"

There is a class of school children. Some are going on a school outing, some are not.

The children I AM REFERRING TO / TALKING ABOUT are:
"For those children WHO ARE NOT GOING on the school outing,…"

I should have written:

Is this the Count WHOM you met at that cocktail party you attended last week?
Is this the Count WHO invited you to his chateau?

I was focussing on explaining Restrictive clauses with 'that' and not the meaning of the sentence…and that the COUNT is a person!

Claire
"I saw the Count in my room. He was making my bed. Then, later, I saw him laying the table."

I saw the Count in my room, making my bed. Then, later, I saw him laying the table.

In your sentences, YOU know (from all the Counts in all the aristocratic families in the world), the SPECIFIC Count you are referring to. I DON"T. The reader does not. Nothing in your sentence tells me WHICH COUNT YOU ARE REFERRING TO.
All that we have are two actions he performed - 'was making' and 'was laying'. Any Count in the whole wide world could do that. These actions don't tell me specifically WHICH COUNT. There is no Restrictive clause in your sentences above.

Is this the Count THAT you met at that cocktail party you attended last week?
Is this the Count THAT invited you to his chateau?

"For those children WHO ARE not going on the school outing,…"

There is a class of school children. Some are going on a school outing, some are not.

The children I AM REFERRING TO / TALKING ABOUT are:
"For those children WHO ARE NOT GOING on the school outing,…"

Thanks for your explanation. However the sentences I have refered to are from the book "Drakula" by written Bram Stoker where the subject is "Count Drakula"
Thank so much again. From this post I have learned something new.

It's my pleasure