General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dependent clause

Chicken, pork, and fish are just some of the ingredients thatmight go into the hot pot.

Is might the dependent clause in this sentence?

Re: dependent clause

What gives you the idea that a word like "might" could possibly be a dependent clause?

PaulM

Hi!
"Might" is a modal verb. It is not a clause but is part of the only dependent clause the sentence has.

Cecy

Cecilia N.
Hi!
"Might" is a modal verb. It is not a clause but is part of the only dependent clause the sentence has.

Cecy

In my reply (29 Oct), I was trying to elicit from the OP just why they thought that "might" was a dependent clause. Please read previous replies before posting your own.

Thank you.

PaulM

Please, don't asume that I didn't read everything before posting just because what I did was something you didn't like.
Thanks.

Cecy

Cecilia N.
Please, don't asume that I didn't read everything before posting just because what I did was something you didn't like.
Thanks.

Cecy

It's not a question of 'not liking'. I was employing a technique used in teaching to identify what led a learner to a particular possible analysis or conclusion.

If a learner asks if a modal can be a dependent clause, it may indicate a fundamental lack of knowledge about the difference between verbs and clauses. It's important that learners have a good grasp of the basics and hence it's sometimes necessary to identify and correct any weaknesses in their basic knowledge before they move on to more advanced grammar.

PaulM